PurpleTree

FEAR Of death

10 posts in this topic

i have many fears.

but  think my fear of death might be diminishing.

just ate some cheese that i bought some time ago, the expiring date was 2 days ago but i still ate it because it was expensive cheese with truffles

but then felt sick in my stomach, looked at the cheese and there was some mold.

googled and it said in the worst case could die from it but then i got kind of excited. :x but still took some oregano oil to kill bacteria and such

although think if i would vomit blood and such wouldn't be excited and scared again

is your fear of death diminishing?

although talk is cheap, once we get that diagnosis or whatever it might be another story

13 minutes ago, PurpleTree said:

is your fear of death diminishing?

It's constant.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

I fear many things in life 

but death seems interesting to me

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

I have little fear of death in general. Even when my heart hurts I don't get terrified of dying. I am very afraid of illness though bc of all the suffering and discomfort associated. The moment when you realise that you are indeed definitely gonna die, that will be the true test of how much you fear it or not. To me death is a liberating thing. I like my life but I don't freak about losing it. I don't view this incarnation as something that should never end. Just the opposite. Death will free me from this life into the unknown which is kinda scary and cool. 

Edited by SQAAD

“Why should I fear death?
If I am, then death is not.
If Death is, then I am not.
Why should I fear that which can only exist when I do not?" - Epicurus

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

32 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

“Why should I fear death?
If I am, then death is not.
If Death is, then I am not.
Why should I fear that which can only exist when I do not?" - Epicurus

Death is a process with a result. You fear the process, not the result. It's a process of loss. The result is stillness.

5 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Death is a process with a result. You fear the process, not the result. It's a process of loss. The result is stillness.

I would say that you fear the disappearance of the self. the result is that you, the person, cease to exist, and that to the person seems inconceivable and terrifying

23 minutes ago, Breakingthewall said:

I would say that you fear the disappearance of the self. the result is that you, the person, cease to exist, and that to the person seems inconceivable and terrifying

When the result is there, there is no you to fear. When the process happens, there is a you that fears the result, but as a result of the process.

@Carl-Richard when you are gone, there is no more fear, as Epicurus said. the point is that the ego becomes detached from itself until it doesn't fears disappearing, detaches itself from the form and identifies with the substance. the problem is that the substance is absolutely nothing, just existence. many schemes must change