Tim R

Why didn't Terence McKenna talk about Nonduality?

10 posts in this topic

Any ideas? Was it because he was so stuck in his mind and so attached to theorizing? Or what? Surely he must've known about it, he has studied (whatever that meant to him) all kinds of spiritual traditions. But he said they didn't show him what he was looking for, until he found psychedelics. 

But why is it then that I can't even find a single talk where he speaks of nonduality? And trust me, I've listened to everything...?

I know that he wasn't very interested in spirituality as such to begin with, but still - you can't tell me that in 30 years of doing high doses of psychedelics he never experienced oneness/nonduality. 

I remember in one of his talks he spoke of enlightenment as "an act of rational apprehension"... So yeah. Guess he didn't study spirituality very deeply.

Side question for @Leo Gura how much influence did Terence McKenna have on your relationship with psychedelics? 

@Tim R And you don't even hear once, not even once Leo talk about encountering an Alien, time traveling, going to another dimension of existence or anything like that too other than merging in the heart of singularity of existence, Interesting right? 

But you hear youtuber @Psychedsubtance talk a lot about these experiences too.

Probably because you get what you truly desire or maybe ready for out of these substances.

Also maybe he had lots of oneness or enlightenment experiences, which obviously he had but consciously ignoring these experiences out of whatever reason (lack of interest maybe? ?).

Edited by m0hsen
Typo

9 minutes ago, m0hsen said:

@Tim R And you don't even hear once, not even once Leo talk about encountering an Alien, time traveling, going to another dimension of existence or anything like that too other than merging in the heart of singularity of existence, Interesting right? 

Well, he actually does have this video where he mentions these things as possibilities of awakening 

I think it's simple that Terrence was not a non-dualist. Though, he had similar ideas he was very much into of duality imo.

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

My own opinion is he was more into shamanism instead of the eastern philosophies and religions. And shamans don't talk about non-duality, or if they hint at it they use different terms. "The transcendental object at the end of time" might as well be synonymous with non-duality.

@impulse9 Yeah, I think he was into shamanism, he was a psychonaut and he was interested in inner alchemy, botany, nature, etc 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

32 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

Well, he actually does have this video where he mentions these things as possibilities of awakening 

I haven't seen that video, but I was talking about his actual experiences similar to these! not just he being more open minded to these kind of stuff as a result of God realization. he mentioned a few times in the forum too that his DMT experiences is not like other people's experience or he never encountered a DMT alien. simply because what you truly desire is not anything like these so of course you would never experience what Terence McKenna experienced or probably vice-versa.

Edited by m0hsen

I remember a talk where Terence Mckenna spoke about "the Neoplatonic One." I don't remember what it was from though.

Some things I found:

“The questions of God – meaning in Milton’s phrase “The god who hung the stars like lamps in heaven” – I don’t think psychedelics can address that definitively, but there is another god, a goddess, the goddess of biology, the goddess of the coherent animal human world, the world of the oceans, the atmosphere, and the planet. In short, our world! The world that we were born into, that we evolved into, and that we came from. That world, the psychedelics want to connect us up to… Our individuality, as people and as a species, is an illusion of bad language that the psychedelics dissolve into the greater feeling of connectedness that underlies our being here, and to my mind that’s the religious impulse. It’s not a laundry list of moral dos and don’ts, or a set of dietary prescriptions or practices: it’s a sense of connectedness, responsibility for our fellow human beings and for the earth you walking around on, and because these psychedelics come out of that plant vegetable matrix they are the way back into it.”

He was too obsessed with imaginary pixies. Of course all life is imaginary.

5 hours ago, Tim R said:

Side question for @Leo Gura how much influence did Terence McKenna have on your relationship with psychedelics? 

Very little

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.