cactus

Crossed Eyes During Meditation, How To Break The Habit?

7 posts in this topic

Hi.

I have had this headache for quite a while now. I did not what it was, but I think I have identifyed the problem. It feels like I am crossing my eyes when meditating and I can feel the pressure in my forehead/headache change when I move my eyes around. The only problem is I just dont know how to get them neutral. I have started doing yoga eye stretches, which seems to work.

What can I do when this kind of problem arises?
If i start meditating with my eyes open for lets say a month and then meditating with my eyes closed, would the eyes then "reset"?

@cactus Firstly, make sure you FULLY relax the face and jaw during meditation. Keep reminding yourself of this over and over again until you finally program it into your mind.

Secondly, try to keep your eyes pointing straight ahead, not up or down. And relax the eye brow region. You're probably straining to "focus" towards some imagined goal. This is not necessary. Just be loose and easy-going.

Thirdly, you can try moving your awareness to the top of the skull or the back of the skull or the middle of the skull, away from the eyes/nose area. I found this helps me when I'm over-straining the eyes.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

10 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@cactus Firstly, make sure you FULLY relax the face and jaw during meditation.

Secondly, try to keep your eyes pointing straight ahead, not up or down. And relax the eye brow region. You're probably straining to "focus" towards some imagined goal. This is not necessary. Just be loose and easy-going.

Thirdly, you can try moving your awareness to the top of the skull or the back of the skull or the middle of the skull, away from the eyes/nose area. I found this helps me when I'm over-straining the eyes.

I am relaxing my face, jaw and eye brow region. But what happens is that sometimes one of my eyes sometimes make a subtle shift inwards to my nose. There is also sometimes that I feel tension in both eyes, but it is hard to relax them. I just tried to put my awareness on the top of the skull and neck which seemed to make the eyes more relaxed. Do you think that the eyes is what have caused my headache?

@cactus Are you meditating eyes open or closed?

46 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@cactus Are you meditating eyes open or closed?

@Leo Gura closed. Havent noticed the jaw before. When I dropped it, it felt like something open up.

Edited by cactus

Never mind 

Edited by Vegeta

It's better to burn out than fade away

@cactus Well... try open-eye meditation for a while. It's good training.

Yeah, the jaw is a HUGE factor people forget. It's almost always too tense.

When you meditate, relax your entire face like that of a baby in sleep. Everything should go limp.