DimmedBulb

What Can't Be An Addiction?

8 posts in this topic

At this point, I feel like basically anything that isn't a bodily reflex to a stimulus can become an addiction. I guess I'm kind of unclear about what it means. I did see Leo's video about it, but that only showed me that there are more addictions than most people think. Given my understanding of it I stated earlier, I think the list would be shortest if I asked what can't be an addiction.

Just progress.

At one point almost everything can become an addiction, maybe with the exception of just being.

But there are things which the ego doesn't want to happen. For example take a freaking cold shower or do a very painfully long strong determination sit. I think these things won't become addictions that quickly.

8 minutes ago, quantum said:

But there are things which the ego doesn't want to happen. For example take a freaking cold shower.

I do this. Can confirm. That stuff sucks.

Just progress.

@DimmedBulb The mistake here is thinking of addictions as "things one does in the external world". That's not the essence of addiction. Addiction is a mental attitude. This attitude can apply to virtually anything.

Additions are sorta like hatreds. Anything can be hated. Hatred is never inherent to the thing. It's in your mind. And a well-developed mind doesn't hate anything, even the things you'd normally think are impossible not to hate.

You could use heroin without addiction. A well-developed mind should have no problem doing heroin and not getting addicted. I've even thought about trying it, just to see if I can, (not that I want to.)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Is this why people who get addicted to one thing have a tendency to get addicted to something else once they kicked something?

Just progress.

@DimmedBulb Of course. Under-developed people always get addicted to one thing or another.

Not just one thing, actually. Dozens of addictions simultaneously.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.