romansoloviov

Questions about "How survival shapes who you are" video

28 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Someone here said:

@WaveInTheOcean 

Interesting you brought that up. That means none of us are here on our own accord. We were meant to be here. Not "chosen" by an external force.. but by the internal force which led to my inevitable reading of your comment, which led to my inevitable negative reaction, which led to my writing of this post driven by my passion for Truth. We're not plotting the course, we are the course.

Beautiful bro! Beautiful. Shivers on my spine. That is fucking it. Great chunck of words.

Flow.

Internal<-->External .. it's One and the Same 'thing'.

Not even the universe knows how this is all going to play out, but it does everything it can through the present moment to evolve.

Yes. Although knowing<-->not-knowing is in actuality One.

'you as a separate conscious self inside a human body' <----> 'the Universe'  :::  One. Identical.

Edited by WaveInTheOcean

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.

9 minutes ago, WaveInTheOcean said:

It can't be communicated

!!

9 minutes ago, WaveInTheOcean said:

That Reality is Perfect/Good/Love/ is not a belief or an idea.
Explicitly, It sounds like it is an idea or a belief-system or a story. But implicitly it is not an idea or a belief or a story.

That reality is anything in particular "perfect," "good" or "love" is an idea. Saying it is perfect, good or love is just not what it is, but saying it is perfect, good or love is just what it is, it is ______. Nothing can be said.

I think you might have picked up some identification with the role of the "enlightened person," nothing wrong with it, just throwing it out there.

You're trying to fit a holistic pov into a relative context when you say "This BAD, and this GOOD - This is in alignment, and this is not." Non-duality/The absolute has no laws, it becomes a religion when we preach Good vs Evil. 

27 minutes ago, WaveInTheOcean said:

You can't argue with Absolute Truth when first realized.

Don't have to realize it, I'm sitting in it. The absolute is sitting in itself, writing this as Traveler, talking to itself as WaveInTheOcean. There is nothing to realize and no one to realize it. 

31 minutes ago, WaveInTheOcean said:

The "I am not this, I am not that"-approach (nothingness/no self-realization) is highly effective and I used it myself.

Ultimately, that approach (& accompanying insight) has to be transcended as well though, because it has its limits.

Dude, we're getting a little side-tracked here, but anyway. I'm not promoting inquiry into "no-self." I'm not particular in my descriptions of reality, because the dream of "me having to wake up" is not here anymore. There is no goal for me to wake someone else up, only suggestions pointing to that in which concepts of Love/The absolute/This apparently arise and are misunderstood as reality. 

36 minutes ago, WaveInTheOcean said:

The "major problem" with the method/'attachment to the realization on its own' is that it is inherently dualistic in nature.

I genuinely don't know if this is directed at "me." Are you just coming up with a possible problem, that isn't here? I do agree with the statement, but there is either a major misunderstanding of what I'm saying or you're speaking to an imaginary audience in order to help them avoid a mistake you have made. 

40 minutes ago, WaveInTheOcean said:

By saying "I am not this, I am not that" .. or "it is not that, it is not this ... or "there is no self, there is nothing" ... or "the self is an illusion, no-self is the truth" etc. etc. we create dualities:

Of course, but as you said so eloquently : “when you listen to them your brain interprets them and the result is not necessarily what the words are pointing to, just as my finger pointing to the moon is not the moon.“

44 minutes ago, WaveInTheOcean said:

All boundaries dissolved.
Everything fusing into Itself out of Itself.

And that is "this." That is what is, ALREADY. If there is still an idea that someone has to "get" that or travel that journey, there is still an illusory dream. 

3 hours ago, traveler said:

!!

That reality is anything in particular "perfect," "good" or "love" is an idea. Saying it is perfect, good or love is just not what it is, but saying it is perfect, good or love is just what it is, it is ______. Nothing can be said.

I think you might have picked up some identification with the role of the "enlightened person," nothing wrong with it, just throwing it out there.

You're trying to fit a holistic pov into a relative context when you say "This BAD, and this GOOD - This is in alignment, and this is not." Non-duality/The absolute has no laws, it becomes a religion when we preach Good vs Evil. 

Don't have to realize it, I'm sitting in it. The absolute is sitting in itself, writing this as Traveler, talking to itself as WaveInTheOcean. There is nothing to realize and no one to realize it. 

Dude, we're getting a little side-tracked here, but anyway. I'm not promoting inquiry into "no-self." I'm not particular in my descriptions of reality, because the dream of "me having to wake up" is not here anymore. There is no goal for me to wake someone else up, only suggestions pointing to that in which concepts of Love/The absolute/This apparently arise and are misunderstood as reality. 

I genuinely don't know if this is directed at "me." Are you just coming up with a possible problem, that isn't here? I do agree with the statement, but there is either a major misunderstanding of what I'm saying or you're speaking to an imaginary audience in order to help them avoid a mistake you have made. 

Of course, but as you said so eloquently : “when you listen to them your brain interprets them and the result is not necessarily what the words are pointing to, just as my finger pointing to the moon is not the moon.“

And that is "this." That is what is, ALREADY. If there is still an idea that someone has to "get" that or travel that journey, there is still an illusory dream. 

Reality is inherently Good. And the purpose is Love. You seem to disagree. Let's just agree to disagree bro <3 :D 

Everything is inherently Good. When I say rape is bad, I'm speaking from within the context of the dream (it's relatively bad, but absolutely Good/Perfect).

People who diagree with me that rape is bad I'd rather not have as friends.

There is nothing to realize and no one to realize it. 
...because the dream of "me having to wake up" is not here anymore. 

That's great. But notice there once was a traveler who wanted to wake up. 

Look at all the millions of spiritual seekers. They lack realization, awakening. 

Or even worse, all those stuck in stage orange. They are so asleep.

Now, is there anything wrong with being asleep? No, ofc, it's hilariously Good. Amazing. I bow before the amazing play of God. Great, great actor.

But say that to a spiritual seeker or my mom, that here is nothing to realize and no one to realize it, and see how it works in regards to helping them becoming more free of suffering/ego :-)

Besides that, saying there is "nothing to realize" , I can't help but see as spiritual bypassing / sneaky sneaky spiritual ego / zen devilish, but ofc you'll disagree:D

The greatest trick of the ego is to convince you that you are free of ego. None are in truth. Some are very very free from it, but 100% free is not obtainable. To get to 99% free from it probably only 0,0001% of the worlds population is at.

But you'll probably say that the ego is an illusion and doesn't exist so it doens't matter, there is no one to be free, nothing to do. Yada yada, whatever rocks your boat. You're probably in for a rude awakening at some point

Yes, there truly are no boundaries and everything is One. This is it, yes, and it already has been.

But you seem to gloss over the fact that many people are not aware of that and see the world as fragmented and divided. You did once too. So did I. Then we slowly realized we were looking at the world through selfish eyes, seeing it distorted as fuck. Now we don't do that as much, at least I don't, you seem to imply you don't do much either, and that's great man; it should bring a lot of inner peace to your soul - it does for me at least.

My goal is to minimize suffering for myself. And with myself I mean all of humanity, of course (and I'm open to expand the sense of identity even more). I have yet to figure out how exactly, and I probably never will, but at least that's my ambitions/goal. What is yours?

there is still an illusory dream. 

If you say that there isn't any illusory dream "where you are sitting" then you are more deluded than I thought.

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.

You never "wake up" from the dream as a living human being.

You just realize within/inside the dream that it is in fact a dream and always have been, whereas before you thought it was something serious, and that your True Self was a human person/separate self that could be born and die.

It is seen to be Lila (Divine Play) aka Love aka God aka Infinite Imagination.

That's what I refer to when I use the words enlightenment/awakening.

What ultimately matters is not knowledge, insight, realization or all that jazz. 

What matters is how you feel. Enlightened beings are free. They have deep inner peace. They express whathever they want to express without thinking what "other" people will think (it just so happens they only want to express Love of course).

When I read your comments, I see almost no passion or feeling or emotional content. That's a cue for me you are still far from getting there. Nothing wrong with that of course, and I might be wrong. (It is also a cue for me that you are probably an enneagram Five, pretty good stuck in conceptual thinking, but of course you don't see that as it it hard to see the ground one is standing on. I'm myself a FIve and have tried it lots of times haha. Delusion is such a funny thing).

Edited by WaveInTheOcean

Edit: I deleted my post as I feel like the purpose of this thread has little to do with what I'm/we're talking about. I'll leave this great Alan Watts vid. 

Edited by traveler

20 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

But if you just love the thing for no good reason -- that's a sign of genuine passion. You love it for its own sake -- that's passion.

It seems though like love for doing something is always an acquired taste. There's an initial event that piques your curiosity, but you definitely need to spend some time to learn the craft so that you can then appreciate finer distinctions.

Doesn't that make passions also arbitrary? For example, right now I might enjoy programming. However, if I wasn't tinkering with programming projects early in life and participated in school debates instead, I might have been passionate about law. And to me the field of law is roughly one huge blur, whereas programming is intricate, has multiple paradigms in it, many languages, huge applications in the real world, etc; in other words, I appreciate programming more because I've had more experience with it. So passions are also contingent on your past.

The implication here is that it's best to focus more on what you find fulfilling/impactful/important for the world or practical (but not overly-practical like just going with the highest paid job on Wall Street), and then trust that you will learn to love it in 1-2 years, rather than focus on what you love doing right now, which is only the result of some experiences in your life. I think that's close to Cal Newport's philosophy. Basically meaning/fulfillment > enjoyment in the moment.

But there is also a kernel to the psyche's personality which does not change, it only gets obscured like the sun on a cloudy day.

Like being inherently creative or ambitious?

The person could have stumbled into a second passion or even a higher passion. You can have multiple passions and you can also find higher passions than your existing ones.

Would you say stumbling onto a new passion is normally accompanied by some regret over not being able to fully pursue the old passion? Or, I guess, not so much regret as just wondering sometimes "aw man what could've that been like". Is that a sign that the initial passion was more genuine?

For example, did you miss video game design a lot after dropping that career and if yes, how long did it take you to get so excited about personal development that you didn't think about game design anymore? Did you ever feel like you've made the wrong choice?

I realize it's hard to answer this in the general case, but some info about how it went for you might be helpful.

Oh, one more question: what books you can suggest for how your past shapes you? And if they're in your book list, then without giving out the titles, which section are they in?

Edited by romansoloviov
Remove extra stuff

11 hours ago, traveler said:

Edit: I deleted my post as I feel like the purpose of this thread has little to do with what I'm/we're talking about. I'll leave this great Alan Watts vid. 

It's a great clip. 

But Alan Watts indeed lays out the steps/path for self-realization:

- your wish to transform yourself, and your wish to become a better person, stems from a belief that you're separate person...which is an illusion! So thinking that way - alone - will never lead to any true transformation.

- but yet, he says, it's absolutely important that we as a human race become more sane, more loving, more unselfish

- what can you do then?

- watch, observe, awareness

- you then start to see the world, including the sense of 'I', is NOT something that is being pushed around or something that someone else is doing

- it is realized to be a 'happening' -- going on by itself, for itself, out of itself

- and THAT is The Real You, he says, not the symbol, not the person, but the whole of existence as a happening. You don't have to think about it. Let go of thoughts and 'you are still here' - in fact shining more clearly than ever ?

- when you're looking out of your eyes, he says, you are looking at you!

- he ends off by saying he doesn't know what we should do after we've realized this; thus he implies something "should" probably be done - he's just saying it's critical we realize our true nature first (and see ourself as whole and undivided, ... Just like a wave is something the whole ocean is doing, YOU are something the whole Universe is doing :-))

Edited by WaveInTheOcean