Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hardkill

Will our government ever return to the levels bipartisanship we had in the old days?

14 posts in this topic

Democrats such as Manchin, Sinema, and Biden are still insisting that Democrats and Republicans in Congress and throughout the entire nation need to come together in order to heal the nation from the extreme partisanship we've been experiencing for years now, particularly after the disastrous Trump era. How worrisome is it that the politics in the US continue to be increasingly unstable and divisive? Also, do you guy think that the country will ever return to having the levels of bipartisanship that we had before the new millennium? 

America is well on its way to having multiple parties in government. You know, like nearly every other functional country on the planet?

17 minutes ago, Frylock said:

America is well on its way to having multiple parties in government. You know, like nearly every other functional country on the planet?

Yeah, but I think that developed countries generally have only two major parties that constantly dominate their political system. It seems to be that for almost all elections in any 1st world country, you end up either having a centre-left or a centre-right politician being the victors and officeholders because the vast majority of voters in any 1st world country vote for either one of those two main types of candidates.

Not until Facebook, Twitter, etc are heavily regulated and they come up with some laws to keep politics out of media like not letting them fund or purchase lobbyists, or demonetizing political content creators. 

hrhrhtewgfegege

GOP leadership has already stated in advance that not a single R will vote for the infrastructural bill in any form. The GOP stated that they will not negotiate. The negotiations are within the Dem party at this point.

If half a committee says they will vote “no” and refuse to negotiate, the other half of the committee has to do the work themselves. 

In terms of reducing polarity, ranked choice voting helps. And it seems to be gaining support.

On 4/8/2021 at 7:05 PM, Forestluv said:

GOP leadership has already stated in advance that not a single R will vote for the infrastructural bill in any form. The GOP stated that they will not negotiate. The negotiations are within the Dem party at this point.

If half a committee says they will vote “no” and refuse to negotiate, the other half of the committee has to do the work themselves. 

In terms of reducing polarity, ranked choice voting helps. And it seems to be gaining support.

After having just read up on it, I actually like that idea. I hope it continues to be increasingly used in the US.

Other than that, do you think that there will be any other way to heal the great divide we've had?

Will the future ever be like the past? Donald Trump had a very successful campaign slogan suggesting it can.

On 4/10/2021 at 6:00 PM, Hardkill said:

Other than that, do you think that there will be any other way to heal the great divide we've had?

The restructuring of social media business models would help. Right now the business model for profits is all about engagement. Hyper polarized extremism is great for business and profits. 

@Hardkill Is the bipartisanship you desire one in which people don't question or oppose the status quo?

I'm not saying polarisation isn't a problem, just throwing the ball in your court to consider something. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

9 minutes ago, Forestluv said:

The restructuring of social media business models would help. Right now the business model for profits is all about engagement. Hyper polarized extremism is great for business and profits. 

Yeah, I agree with that. Though, what's the likelihood that that kind of restructuring will happen?

6 minutes ago, lmfao said:

@Hardkill Is the bipartisanship you desire one in which people don't question or oppose the status quo?

I'm not saying polarisation isn't a problem, just throwing the ball in your court to consider something. 

No, people do have the right to question the status quo as long as those questions are intelligent and done or asked with good intentions. In fact, questioning or opposing the status quo can good for positive change if done right and for the right reasons. The kind of bipartisanship I am taking about is one where parties can come together to reach agreements or reasonable compromises much more like in the old days of politics. 

If gridlock in our country keeps increasing, then it will get to a point where no more new good laws will ever get passed. Also, I am getting really worried about the possible negative consequences of having such a politically divided country. Like, how likely is it that the US will have another civil war soon?

28 minutes ago, Hardkill said:

Though, what's the likelihood that that kind of restructuring will happen?

About the same likelihood of me hooking up with Emma Watson.

19 minutes ago, Forestluv said:

About the same likelihood of me hooking up with Emma Watson.

Well, that’s sad. Lol

Do you think that not enough people in the US aren’t worried about this?

1 hour ago, Hardkill said:

No, people do have the right to question the status quo as long as those questions are intelligent and done or asked with good intentions. In fact, questioning or opposing the status quo can good for positive change if done right and for the right reasons. The kind of bipartisanship I am taking about is one where parties can come together to reach agreements or reasonable compromises much more like in the old days of politics. 

If gridlock in our country keeps increasing, then it will get to a point where no more new good laws will ever get passed. Also, I am getting really worried about the possible negative consequences of having such a politically divided country. Like, how likely is it that the US will have another civil war soon?

@Hardkill Yeah you're talking a lot of straight up facts rn.

I wouldn't know about the civil war aspect though, (perhaps wrongfully?) I usually dismiss people who are very worried about a civil war as being schizos. Because I think about Tim Pool when I hear that. But how do I know it wouldn't happen. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.