StarStruck

Is spiral dynamics level important when chosing a psychotherapist?

9 posts in this topic

My therapist is blue-yellow. She isn't interested in spirituality. I rarely talk about it anyway, and that is not the reason for me going there anyway.

The reason why I opened this thread is because Leo said that therapists are doing a disservice to their clients if they don't know anything about spirituality.

The topics we walk about is childhood trauma, self-image, confidence, procrastination, productivity and assertiveness.

I wish I could change my therapist but it is not easy, especially now with the pandemic. There are waiting lists so I should be happy that I get help at all.

What does the client miss out on when she is not stage green? I'm interested in your views.

I dont think so. Only connection and intuition, I never even considered my therapists spiral stage, she just connected well with me off the bat.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

1 minute ago, Rilles said:

I dont think so. Only connection and intuition, I never even considered my therapists spiral stage, she just connected well with me off the bat.

People connect well when they are on the same level.

5 minutes ago, StarStruck said:

Yes, but SD is not everything, its just one lens, I could have just as easily found a Green therapist that didnt connect well with me. 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

I heard of this thing that (it may have even been a study) where they found that irrespective of type of therapy, therapist, setting, that most significant predictor of success was the person's ability to notice the feelings in their body and and attuned to their own subjective experience.   

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

I've made the most progress with a therapist that is green/yellow that does MDMA therapy and psychedelics. I personally look for someone spiritually awakened. It may not be the case for you and if someone that isn't helps you that is great. I personally have felt emotionally cold and neglected around CBT heavy stage orange rational therapists. They are at a stage where they aren't emotionally developed enough to give the reflection I look for in a therapist. Not for me, transpersonal from here on out but not someone who is cringy tryhard overly positive green. There are spiritually awake, mature yellow therapists out there. Takes time to find though. 

16 hours ago, StarStruck said:

I agree and believe a person needs a therapist who is at their level or higher. If the Therapist is lower on the spiral, I don’t think they will understand their patient as well as a Therapist at the same level or higher.

A blue-orange therapist won’t clearly see the world of a green-yellow individual and I think it’s possible that they may do more harm than good. Not intentionally but just through their limited worldview.

I could also be wrong in some instances.

Trivia-

A few years ago I read that there are a disproportionate number of secular Jewish psychotherapists who in their career end up leading groups in - A Course In Miracles- which is as Christian based as you can get. Isn’t that ironic,,,?

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

It depends on what you're using your therapist for.

You probably don't need some super advanced therapist for handling basic survival issues.

It gets more problematic when you want to seriously transform yourself. There, an average therapist will probably not have a deep enough grasp of psychology, epistemology, and metaphysics to help you.

Much of what therapy boils down to is just talking stuff out. This can be helpful regardless of level. Just having someone to voice your problems to can be helpful in making you more conscious of the dynamics at play within your own psyche.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

3 hours ago, Zigzag Idiot said:

I agree and believe a person needs a therapist who is at their level or higher. If the Therapist is lower on the spiral, I don’t think they will understand their patient as well as a Therapist at the same level or higher.

A blue-orange therapist won’t clearly see the world of a green-yellow individual and I think it’s possible that they may do more harm than good. Not intentionally but just through their limited worldview.

I could also be wrong in some instances.

Trivia-

A few years ago I read that there are a disproportionate number of secular Jewish psychotherapists who in their career end up leading groups in - A Course In Miracles- which is as Christian based as you can get. Isn’t that ironic,,,?

She isn't understanding why I read so many books and why I'm meditating a lot which I'm not. Only doing 30 minutes meditation per day. In my view, we don't have to have corresponding lifestyles.

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

It depends on what you're using your therapist for.

You probably don't need some super advanced therapist for handling basic survival issues.

It gets more problematic when you want to seriously transform yourself. There, an average therapist will probably not have a deep enough grasp of psychology, epistemology, and metaphysics to help you.

Much of what therapy boils down to is just talking stuff out. This can be helpful regardless of level. Just having someone to voice your problems to can be helpful in making you more conscious of the dynamics at play within your own psyche.

Super advanced therapist probably will be expensive. My therapist at the moment is covered by my health insurance. It is a middle-aged woman with a lot of experience, I think I will just go to her until my basic survival issues are solved.