Vision

Can Kriya Yoga replace meditation?

4 posts in this topic

Kriya Yoga is a form of meditation right? 

there are hundreds of thousands of spiritual practices.

When you say "meditation" in the west it doesn't really mean anything.

All practices work differently and work differently for different people.

You gotta find what practices work for you in the end.

If you can why not do both?

Well, Kriya is actually pretty broad.  Assuming you're talking about the simple Santata Gamana method, I would break it down like this:

Kriya Supreme Fire - This is energy work

Pranayama - This is basically concentration meditation and indirect energy work combined

Pravastha - Personally, I practice self-inquiry or "do nothing" during this post-pranayama period.  If you do pranayama until it gets "easy", you are basically in a 2nd Jhana type of state at this point, and this certainly counts as meditation.

So, if you do a long session, I'd say it definitely contains meditative aspects.  If you focus on mainly the energy work, probably not so much.

@Vision I meditate intermittently, Kriya Yoga never often led to my breakthroughs. Maybe because I never did it consistently. But you see that's just me, what path is for you is your thing.

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.