Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jani

Depression Without Sadness Or Thought Cycles

6 posts in this topic

Had this for one day. No motivation to do anything whatsoever, just sat and stared at things. Everything was calm and peaceful but there was a subtle anxiety/doubt arising at times. It was kind of a vegetable mode so to speak. Finally in the evening a desire to do something arose. What was this? It was fine by me but other people around didn't really approve.

@Jani I've experienced a lack of motivation to do anything before. It's quite rare for me and it's also quite difficult for me to handle because I tend to be a very productive, workaholic type of person. But basically, when I experience anything like this, I do just the thing that you did, sit or lie down in the quiet and just stare into space. So I don't think you're doing anything out of the ordinary. But that's only my perspective.

Maybe you are looking for a deep introspective answer, but on a practical level, I feel like that if I'm cold, the house is too cold, I'm lacking nutrition, (I suffer IBS) hungry, tired.

6 hours ago, Jani said:

Had this for one day. No motivation to do anything whatsoever, just sat and stared at things. Everything was calm and peaceful but there was a subtle anxiety/doubt arising at times. It was kind of a vegetable mode so to speak. Finally in the evening a desire to do something arose. What was this? It was fine by me but other people around didn't really approve.

I can only guess but it sounds like an awakened state. There is calmness and a peacefulness, and you are fine with just being still. Mind can translate that into a sadness or depression. Was there a sense of detachment to everything around you?

Edited by WelcometoReality

49 minutes ago, WelcometoReality said:

I can only guess but it sounds like an awakened state. There is calmness and a peacefulness, and you are fine with just being still. Mind can translate that into a sadness or depression. Was there a sense of detachment to everything around you?

The best I can describe it, it was like a stillness you get from meditating and acceptance, but there was still slight anxiety arising at times. Anyways that stillness state lasted for most of the day and I really don't know whether it was a good thing or a bad thing, it just was what it was. I don't think it was an awakened state, or maybe it was and I had been expecting something more from it. 

21 minutes ago, Jani said:

The best I can describe it, it was like a stillness you get from meditating and acceptance, but there was still slight anxiety arising at times. Anyways that stillness state lasted for most of the day and I really don't know whether it was a good thing or a bad thing, it just was what it was. I don't think it was an awakened state, or maybe it was and I had been expecting something more from it. 

You expected a more blissful experience yes? Not everyone experience that. Some experience bliss, some experience immense fear, and some don't have a powerful experience at all. Eventually that experience fades and then there is just peace and calm. Well I'm not going to convince you that is what you experienced because I can only guess but if this makes sense to you, try to lean back into that place. Maybe @Ayla can help clarify things for you.

Edited by WelcometoReality