Emerald

Great Visual Metaphors for Death

17 posts in this topic

This music video reminds me a lot of what it was like during the ego death experience I had at my Ayahuasca ceremony last year.

Not so much visually... but very good visual metaphors for the experience.

Particularly at the 2:06 mark and between 2:40 and 2:53.

The same could be said of the creepy part at the end of the video, where the woman turns into a desert. But not quite as much.

Are you struggling with self-sabotage and CONSTANTLY standing in the way of your own success? 

If so, and if you're looking for an experienced coach to help you discover and resolve the root of the issue, you can click this link to schedule a free discovery call with me to see if my program is a good fit for you.

I don't have my own visuals to add, but the scene in the video with the guts, kind of reminds me of the Philip K. Dick story The Electric Ant:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Electric_Ant

Where the man/robot tampers with his own internal workings and changes his reality: a metaphor for psychadelics I reckon.

57% paranoid

7 hours ago, Emerald said:

This music video reminds me a lot of what it was like during the ego death experience I had at my Ayahuasca ceremony last year.

Not so much visually... but very good visual metaphors for the experience.

Particularly at the 2:06 mark and between 2:40 and 2:53.

The same could be said of the creepy part at the end of the video, where the woman turns into a desert. But not quite as much.

Had you seen the video or known of this song before you had the ego death experience?

shutterstock_435246916.jpg

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

10 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

shutterstock_435246916.jpg

You are the light of the world - matthew 5:14

4 hours ago, wwhy said:

Had you seen the video or known of this song before you had the ego death experience?

No, I just found this music video the day before yesterday. 

Are you struggling with self-sabotage and CONSTANTLY standing in the way of your own success? 

If so, and if you're looking for an experienced coach to help you discover and resolve the root of the issue, you can click this link to schedule a free discovery call with me to see if my program is a good fit for you.

Nice, that was mesmerising to watch.

Was your ego death on Ayahuasca your most profound one ever?

Truth is neither a destination nor a conclusion. Truth is a living experience.

This is awesome. The video is so surreal. Thanks for sharing. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

@Emerald

Beautiful video and I love the song. Extremely well-made :o

It triggered a catharsis cry.

Thanks for sharing!

My ego death was a combination between @Leo Gura foto and 1:32 ⇾ 2:03.

It was sudden, unexpected.

I had nothing of the "scary" and "weird" stuff.

I was in bed, sober, thinking about cycles. Suddenly I had an insight into the infinite nature of our existence. In the same moment I was swooshed into death/love/peace.

That was all it was.

Then back in my bed.

I went from atheist to Love = God. To the knowing that I don't need to be loved, because I am.

LMAO

The next day I had surgery at the hospital. My penis was getting circumcised.

Both my ego and penis got circumcised in tandem.

LMAO

@Emerald MGMT is great, I discovered them with that song at first about a year ago and just kept replaying. When you die is my most listened song of theirs. And then Little Dark Age. 

Little Dark Age album + a few other singles are great. Unfortunately, the gap between M and G in the alphabet is more than 4 letters, and it isn't a code for D and DMT 

Besides MGMT, the only other "psychedelic music" I listen to is by Mild High Club. The album Skiptracing is very chill but colourful 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

On 2/5/2021 at 11:04 AM, Javfly33 said:

Nice, that was mesmerising to watch.

Was your ego death on Ayahuasca your most profound one ever?

It was the most intense for sure. But I suppose profundity and intensity are two different things. All  were profound. The first two were beautiful and pleasant. But the latter was very intense and very bad trip by any measure.

So, I've had three very profound Ayahuasca experiences. But the latter reminds me of this video... though it wasn't a visual experience at all.

The first two were amazing experiences of being grounded in one-ness and getting some distance from my ego and a dropping away of suffering and fear. And an immersion in a kind of love that I can relate to as a human being. They were profound in a way that was grounded within Maya. And I was able to see all the little ways that I would self-deceive and a bunch of other psychological happenings that I was previously unconscious to. I can say that these were experiences of the merging of the human and divine and to recognize the divinity in the mundane.

The third was very different. It was all about death and emptiness... very much akin to what I pointed out within the video. It was like being pulled behind so many veils. And then my body was falling apart.

And I died and merged with the nothingness from which the everythingness springs.

And I was this nothingness, and I intimately experienced and understood all the connections between everything in the infinite existence all in one instant (though time was not a thing... nor was sensing nor understanding). I knew things and remember knowing things that I can't possibly understand now.

And I both was and wasn't able to handle everything in infinity. And as I (God) had a hard time experiencing the elements of infinity that included suffering, I (God) who was impervious to suffering would wrap around myself and comfort me (God), and in a moment things would resolve and there would be peace. And then I (God) would wake back up the the infitine nature of my existence and I (God) would panic and freak out... then I (God) would wrap around myself again and comfort me (God) and I (God) would understand an infinite amount of connections and comfort me (God) again. And this kept happening, until I (God) felt unable to handle it. I (God) had to surrender to the fact that I (God) needed mercy and a reprieve from my infinite nature as I (God) longed for the experience of finiteness. 

And then, I began to remember Emerald. And I (God) made a conscious decision to live as Emerald and to experience this finite story line and to surrender to my humanity and to relinquish seeking to transcend or get rid of my finite nature. It was clear to me then, that the intention for my life was to exist fully as human as that was the experience that I (God) wanted to have. 

13 hours ago, lmfao said:

@Emerald MGMT is great, I discovered them with that song at first about a year ago and just kept replaying. When you die is my most listened song of theirs. And then Little Dark Age. 

Little Dark Age album + a few other singles are great. Unfortunately, the gap between M and G in the alphabet is more than 4 letters, and it isn't a code for D and DMT 

Besides MGMT, the only other "psychedelic music" I listen to is by Mild High Club. The album Skiptracing is very chill but colourful 

I haven't listened to much from them other than their three big hits. So, this was a pleasant surprise.

Also, I just learned that MGMT stands for Management as a lot of their early stuff was meant to be a spoof on pop music and selling out. But they became popular because of their spoof stuff. 

On 2/5/2021 at 11:06 PM, Dancer said:

@Emerald

Beautiful video and I love the song. Extremely well-made :o

It triggered a catharsis cry.

Thanks for sharing!

On 2/5/2021 at 11:05 AM, Preety_India said:

This is awesome. The video is so surreal. Thanks for sharing. 

You're welcome :)

On 2/6/2021 at 2:52 AM, Emerald said:

No, I just found this music video the day before yesterday. 

Ok. I'm always wondering if it is just me connecting to my subconscious mind with something I have seen before, or I'm connecting with the deeper universal consciousness we all share. If you've never seen it before (and i say if because no one really consciously remembers every single thing they've ever seen), you and the video were tapping some symbols from our universal consciousness. Which would make them really special.

Edited by wwhy

15 hours ago, wwhy said:

Ok. I'm always wondering if it is just me connecting to my subconscious mind with something I have seen before, or I'm connecting with the deeper universal consciousness we all share. If you've never seen it before (and i say if because no one really consciously remembers every single thing they've ever seen), you and the video were tapping some symbols from our universal consciousness. Which would make them really special.

I can assure you that I haven't seen this song before a few days ago. It's a very memorable music video... especially the creepy part at the end.

But it isn't that my experience had these visuals or anything. It wasn't really a visual experience at all during the death.

It's more like these visuals are a metaphor for what was experienced... especially where everything dissolved into the infinite body of the Goddess in the video.

So, the imagery in the video is very universal/esoteric/archetypal as I can recognize the life mother, the death mother, the magician, and the memento mori as archetypes. But the psychedelic imagery and dissolving is also relevant. I would imagine that MGMT (or whoever created the music video) has experienced ego death while on psychedelics or something like that.

My experience was that my body was fragmenting and falling apart and that I died, which was not a visual experience at all. 

And in the fragmenting, I merged into nothingness and experienced being it.

So, the radical de-centering in the video where everything merges into flowers on blackness that make up the body of the deity, felt very reminiscent of the shift in perspective that death is.

But of course, neither words nor image can accurately describe it. It just has some semblance to the experience... which is why I said it was a great visual metaphor for what was experienced.

I got a little shudder down my spine when I first saw it because it reminded me of it. As close to a representation of death as I've seen. 

On 07/02/2021 at 4:18 AM, Emerald said:

I haven't listened to much from them other than their three big hits. So, this was a pleasant surprise.

@Emerald which songs do you mean by their big 3 hits? So long as you listen to Little Dark Age Album we're good. For me it's the only album I can listen all of without skipping songs. Ofc I still like some songs in other albums. 

Two creepy/nice singles are "In The Afternoon" and "As You Move Through The World". They don't touch When You Die though 

On 07/02/2021 at 8:31 PM, Emerald said:

Also, I just learned that MGMT stands for Management as a lot of their early stuff was meant to be a spoof on pop music and selling out. But they became popular because of their spoof stuff. 

Ah right, cool

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

On 2/7/2021 at 5:14 AM, Emerald said:

It was the most intense for sure. But I suppose profundity and intensity are two different things. All  were profound. The first two were beautiful and pleasant. But the latter was very intense and very bad trip by any measure.

So, I've had three very profound Ayahuasca experiences. But the latter reminds me of this video... though it wasn't a visual experience at all.

The first two were amazing experiences of being grounded in one-ness and getting some distance from my ego and a dropping away of suffering and fear. And an immersion in a kind of love that I can relate to as a human being. They were profound in a way that was grounded within Maya. And I was able to see all the little ways that I would self-deceive and a bunch of other psychological happenings that I was previously unconscious to. I can say that these were experiences of the merging of the human and divine and to recognize the divinity in the mundane.

The third was very different. It was all about death and emptiness... very much akin to what I pointed out within the video. It was like being pulled behind so many veils. And then my body was falling apart.

And I died and merged with the nothingness from which the everythingness springs.

And I was this nothingness, and I intimately experienced and understood all the connections between everything in the infinite existence all in one instant (though time was not a thing... nor was sensing nor understanding). I knew things and remember knowing things that I can't possibly understand now.

And I both was and wasn't able to handle everything in infinity. And as I (God) had a hard time experiencing the elements of infinity that included suffering, I (God) who was impervious to suffering would wrap around myself and comfort me (God), and in a moment things would resolve and there would be peace. And then I (God) would wake back up the the infitine nature of my existence and I (God) would panic and freak out... then I (God) would wrap around myself again and comfort me (God) and I (God) would understand an infinite amount of connections and comfort me (God) again. And this kept happening, until I (God) felt unable to handle it. I (God) had to surrender to the fact that I (God) needed mercy and a reprieve from my infinite nature as I (God) longed for the experience of finiteness. 

And then, I began to remember Emerald. And I (God) made a conscious decision to live as Emerald and to experience this finite story line and to surrender to my humanity and to relinquish seeking to transcend or get rid of my finite nature. It was clear to me then, that the intention for my life was to exist fully as human as that was the experience that I (God) wanted to have. 

Such powerful experiences and can totally relate to the panic of realizing the infinite aloness of GOD..

This life and experience is absolutley perfect in that way, the most beatiful "creation" but somehow GOD longs for its infinite nature but when it is there it wants to return to relative existence,  damned if we do damned if we dont almost ?

Let thy speech be better then silence, or be silent.

- Pseudo-dionysius