Tim R

The Word "Devil"

19 posts in this topic

Leo often uses the word devil when he describes people being deluded, biased or egotistic and many people on the forum copy him. 

I think the use of the word "devil" comes with some problems, the main three being:

1. Its underlying judgement
  2. Using the word too often and too casually because it is like a meme 
  3. Its connotation with the christian myth of "the devil" which we all inherit 

So the problems I see are more concerned with the way the use of this word effects us - since we don't call people "devil" to their face, nobody is being insulted or anything, so that's no problem.

So yeah, the main problems are that the word promotes

• our own self-bias
  • judgement
  • unconscious application

That being said, I suggest we either become more careful when using the word or cut it out altogether.  

What do you guys think? Are my concerns justified? 

You are right in that devil is a relative notion. It does not exist in an absolute sense. So you have to be very conscious to understand its limits and use it relatively.

The problem is you guys take the word too seriously, as if it has some ontological or moral substance. Rather, say it tongue-in-cheek, like I do.

It's a fun word. Sorta like calling someone a douche. You don't take it too literally.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

4 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

You are right in that devil is a relative notion. It does not exist in an absolute sense. So you have to be very conscious to understand its limits and use it relatively.

The problem is you guys take the word too seriously, as if it has some ontological or moral substance. Rather, say it tongue-in-cheek, like I do.

It's a fun word. Sorta like calling someone a douche. You don't take it too literally.

But Leo!!!! I thought you meant little red tail and pitchfork!!!

Dont look at me! Look inside!

omg, you are everything :x:x:x i've learned new word, little rascals, has great ring to it:x

we are literally devil. one thing I understood is as you go up to Sprial your understanding of reality changes. @Leo Gurais perfectly right, when he use this word. we are devil's, literally.

27 minutes ago, Conscious life said:

we are literally devil. one thing I understood is as you go up to Sprial your understanding of reality changes. @Leo Gurais perfectly right, when he use this word. we are devil's, literally.

no

27 minutes ago, Conscious life said:

no.

8 minutes ago, blackchair said:

no

no.

Yes. it is. don't tie a man by his word. levels of word people use to express devil and God. 

people use this labels to refer God and devil. 

Spritual people use this word 

God and devil 

conscious and unconscious

materialistic people use this word 

good and evil 

sick and healthy 

children use word

ugly and beautiful

like and dislike 

be aware of this labels used by different people at different stages  what we refers as  God and devil at higher consciousness. 

"People like yooooou, think the devil lives on a hollywood movie studio set, thats made to look like a world war 2 fighter jet

who just lounges around all day, getting baked, and calling his friends and hanging up on em"

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

They are fun words for you because you grew up in a certain environment. If you grew up with God and the Devil as your main framework of life and reality they might have much heavier connotations. My mom actually suspected that Arnold Schwarzenegger was the anti-Christ when he ran for office. xDI laugh now, but it's no joke to grow up that way. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

26 minutes ago, Conscious life said:

Yes. it is. don't tie a man by his word. levels of word people use to express devil and God. 

people use this labels to refer God and devil. 

Spritual people use this word 

God and devil 

conscious and unconscious

materialistic people use this word 

good and evil 

sick and healthy 

children use word

ugly and beautiful

like and dislike 

be aware of this labels used by different people at different stages  what we refers as  God and devil at higher consciousness. 

now, this makes more sense. thank you. #humble. #learning

7 minutes ago, mandyjw said:

They are fun words for you because you grew up in a certain environment. If you grew up with God and the Devil as your main framework of life and reality they might have much heavier connotations.

Life is fun when you aren't deluded.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

3 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

getting there, getting there.

It's more like they are filled with the spirit of selfishness 

4 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

?

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

Advanced selflessness actually requires wisdom to spot...it can seem arrogant 

Advanced selflessness isint thinking less of yourself,

it's thinking of yourself less

Edited by Aaron p

I say this. 

Sometimes when you are with the devil, you learn some tricks of the trade. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

5 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

devil is a relative notion.

Relative to what?

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

The devil exists just like anything exists.. 

I don't know how not talking about a devil will actually make devils disappear.. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today.