Barbara

What’s your relationship with this forum?

46 posts in this topic

@Preety_India yeah that's the joy of this place, it's like an international bazaar of ideas and viewpoints - exciting. Of course even in ancient times there were great philosophers outside of Greece.

It's an odd thought, that some of us may even be talked about in 2000 years' time. You never know eh?

57% paranoid

1 hour ago, LastThursday said:

I like to think of this place like a modern version Ancient Greece

Really picturesque of you :)

Gotta say just the presence of people here keep me from going insane. (Or is it the other way around? :D)

"We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe."

-- The Upanishads

Encyclopedia

On 1/27/2021 at 1:57 AM, neutralempty said:

I will marry this forum this march.

Check your privilege bro. You're already married. :P

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

My reasons to come here EVERY. SINGLE. DAY:

-Addiction (it's kinda addictive)

-Definitely companionship (Normies SUCK!!!!)

-To practice english and writing in english

-To brag about how great my life is. So yeah, validation I guess.

-When I have had problems, actualizers have helped me. For sure I'll keep coming back.

-It feels good to talk to guys that are alcoholics and offer help, because I was one. So yeah, some form of meaning, by helping others

On 1/25/2021 at 6:37 PM, Barbara said:

How do you feel about social media in general? 

Not too good. I don't use it. It wastes TOO much time.

I have a FB account that I log in once a month on average.

The forum is a good thing. But too much of a good thing is not a good thing.

Arc

The reason for me is that I want to see how people think, what they've got going on in their lives and try to resonate with them, maybe even to the point of agreeing with them based on my biased agenda, but I still try to be impartial. Also, I like to read Leo's replies to others and his posts to see how he thinks and sometimes I find his style attractive to me that I emulate and implement it in my life if I find it desirable to my survival. There's also a sense of community to feel that you're not alone and that you can talk to people who are accepting and honest, but of course there are many exceptions of toxicity and disingenuousness, which is natural.

Edited by Abdelghafar
Edit

In any placement of discourse there will over time entail a prescriptive concurrence of kinds, this specific discourse tries brutally to get ahead in that. 

And that can not be but interesting, it is the system we depend upon, and always have. Necessarily, as we weren't 'we' before it.

With regards to its specific modus operandi i am intrigued, as it diverge from others periodically alike in the form that it takes.

There is much for me to love in it, and much for me to ignore. My relationship to it is alive, although i look forward to new times.

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?

@Barbara Aha! I think about this all of the time. For me the forum-person relationship is spotty. I typically show up after a month break and take a quick glance. Before I know it, I'm full of inspiration and become obsessed with taking practical advice and helping others for about a week or two. Then I'll break away again. There are so many wonderful people on here, that I'm always thinking "Gee, I wonder where all of these amazing souls will be in 10 years?" The future is bright!

@Barbara

People with thousands of posts on this forum simply have nothing else better to do.

Edited by Yali

47 minutes ago, Yali said:

@Barbara

People with thousands of posts on this forum simply have nothing else better to do.

Question is, what is better?

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?

• Addiction, reinforced by lack of a better alternative.
  • Contemplative space for me, by answering the questions posted here. In real life, I generally don't think at all unless I need to, and so I use this forum to contemplate to balance out the lack of thoughts.
  • Remainders of self-image issues.
  • Learning new stuff, of course.
  • Exposure to radically different types of people and trying to understand how they think and feel.
  • Effortless engagement, because of like-minded people, which does not exist in my real life.
  • Improving my English skills.
  • Improving my understanding of reality.
  • Observing my emotions/reactions and correcting them.
  • Observing others and learning from their experiences and mistakes.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

4 hours ago, Gesundheit said:
  • Addiction, reinforced by lack of a better alternative.
  • Contemplative space for me, by answering the questions posted here. In real life, I generally don't think at all unless I need to, and so I use this forum to contemplate to balance out the lack of thoughts.
  • Remainders of self-image issues.
  • Learning new stuff, of course.
  • Exposure to radically different types of people and trying to understand how they think and feel.
  • Effortless engagement, because of like-minded people, which does not exist in my real life.
  • Improving my English skills.
  • Improving my understanding of reality.
  • Observing my emotions/reactions and correcting them.
  • Observing others and learning from their experiences and mistakes.

I resonate with this answer.

Edited by Abdelghafar
Edit

Probably 3rd time active here over 3 years, and each time I've only hung around for no more than 2 weeks.

I come here because I have questions I haven't found in books or YouTube videos, so I find it convenient to either search the Forum or make my own post if I can't find anything.

While I'm here, I scroll through and see what catches my eye.

The most active I've been in light of recent spiritual breakthroughs.

Edited by Brandon Nankivell
spelling mistake

Like an intense partner, you need to take a break from it for a while. 

Once you do, you'll enjoy it a whole lot more when you return. 

@BarbaraMeta analysis of conversations outside of just journal section posting. I don't go for dopaminergic posting outside of looking for something deeper than the shallow (its really not good for your brain and general development there and we see plenty of the forums presentations like this). The deeper you dive the more likely you'll find the scarcest treasures and unearth the deepest wisdom. Instead of participating in shallow social patterns, step back, observe and you'll turn that into a deeper reality that represents a pattern that you can then contextualise and move around or strategically towards as it serves your more sophisticated ends. Mathematically, shallowness is the milk of the many and deepness the wine of the few, so going deep allows you to sort out just who's really worth speaking to and who isn't, or at least just not yet. This is more selective attention in terms of maximising use of time than it is selective social ostracism, by prioritising the former irrespective of the social environment you allow yourself to become immune of any lesser patterns exhibited in your surroundings enabling you to maintain focus towards your ongoing growth, online or otherwise. Such would be a good strategy for this kind of forum that has many people pretending they're actually doing or saying something worthwhile.

@Barbara On a technical level the ideal would be to utilise this space as a reflective social interface on two primary levels:

(1) Thoughts about existence 
(2) Actions in relation to your goals 

• Progress in relation to those two sentiments. That's literally all that matters other than potential social pairing that may be fortunate enough to occur, though the pairing is not of course always consistent with a persons growth so to this end they're unfortunate enough. The pairing is entirely predicated on complementarity regardless as to how well said persons have actually grown; for example perhaps the connection is based on an attraction to "garbage dumping dopamine" (as opposed to deep level processing), similar but unresolved traumas so they continually resurface as conflicts in different ways between the persons but because they can't see that as the attractor they don't resolve that in their subconscious for that to no longer be an attractor. Or based on many other "unresolved compatibilities" that should be stress signals more than attraction signals. Our attractions are of course not our direct line of sight on reality, rather our direct line of sight on reality is our intelligence on those attractions. So how did they arrive and what is their future in the context of my development, how do they serve my growth and how do they not, what would be something I could do to resolve that attraction in my subconscious so its no longer attractive to me because it doesn't serve my growth or if it truly does serve my growth how can I be more attracted to that attractor (not necessarily the person, it all depends on other aspects of their personality), etc, etc.

This forum is probably less than 1% of its potential, but that's just where most people are at yo. This is why we have different grade basketball teams, League A sometimes all the way down to League F. I'm not sure this forum would be too much above F to be honest. Outliers exist in every forum of course, but yeah that's what I try to expose my attention to mostly, an ideal feedback loop between those two at the cost of social conformity wherever possible just because people end up being disappointing in one way or another anyhow. I like people in general but I'm not here to entertain patterns with others that I'm looking to deconstruct and reinvent in my own consciousness to remap existence for the better. Avoidance has utility in so much as it protects me from oxytocin blurring my judgement so I can continue to focus on the necessary expansion that I think the whole of humanity should be on relative to their best ends.