Ray

Tips And Tricks For A Vipassana Newbie

8 posts in this topic

Hey everyone :)

So as the title suggest I'm going to make my first Vipassana retreat (10 days of intense meditation). I meditate from almost 2 year now every single day for 1 hours so I will not arrive completely unprepared... However I would like to know from you guys some tips and suggestions for "make it thought", to "survive" the vipassana (many people can't endure the process) and for reaching deep level of spiritual insight. I know that the best way is just follow my instinct highest self, but I would even like to have some advice from who already have done it and maybe know some "secret tips" ahah. In one video leo for example says that is better not follow every step of the process but focusing more on the self inquiry for having deep spiritual insights. Anyway any practical and conceptual tips is welcomed :)

Thanks! 

@Outer

ahah yeah I know what you mean, I have "goals" but I know that I have to be detached from the outcome... As I said before the best thing will be only following my highest self. Anyway thanks for the "compassion": It feels good to know that there are other people in my same situation, ready to face for the first time a spiritual retreat :)

33 minutes ago, Ray said:

many people can't endure the process

Vipassana meditation - should not be done more than two hours. And those two hours have to be early in the morning; the best time is before sunrise. If somebody goes on meditating for ten hours, the ultimate consequence is going to be insanity. And there will be by-products also; for example, a man meditating for ten hours will lose his sleep completely.

Vipassana done after sunset is very dangerous. If you do Vipassana for just two hours in the night, then you cannot sleep. It creates such awareness in you that that awareness continues the whole night.

Unless a meditation brings you more laughter, more joy, more playfulness, avoid it. It is not for you.

@Ray 

I did vipassana for ages, it is really hard work, and not something I would do again.  When I began understand the teachings it turned me off, because most of it is indirect and just made up quite frankly lol.  It's not knowledge, it's mostly a philosophy.

You will find vipassana was one technique robbed from another religion, and it was only meant to focus the mind for a few moments as part of a more comprehensive meditation technique.

Anyway, 

Each to their own!

Edited by kurt

24 minutes ago, Outer said:

The way I see it, complete the course, see what Vipassana has to offer (the first few days are just being aware of breath) and try it 1-2 hours a day in the morning?

Vipassana meditation for 1-2 hours a day in the morning is perfectly fine. If it gives you a certain feeling of affinity, if it gives you a certain feeling of well-being, if it gives you a certain feeling that this is for you, then be serious about it. Then forget the others techniques, do not play with other methods. Stick to it - at least three months. I don't agree with '10 days of intense meditation', it not good for beginners.

46 minutes ago, Outer said:

Isn't suffering a part of the meditation practice?

Whenever someone begins meditation, he will become aware of many things of which he was not previously aware, and because of that awareness he will suffer. This is how things are, and one has to pass through them. You are becoming more unconscious. With a real, authentic meditation you will suffer more, because you will become more aware.

So when you allow it to happen, you don´t escape, you don´t run, you are not in a panic, suddenly you become aware that suffering is there on the periphery as if happening to someone else, not to you, and you are looking at it. A subtle joy spreads all over your being because you have realized one of the basic truths of life, that you are bliss and not suffering. Suffering should not be end result. 

1 hour ago, Outer said:

@Prabhaker @kurt My ego reactions before my course was beyond infinity and now it's infinity x infinity. Nah I am kind of joking :) It's kind of funny reading a lot of benefits, negatives and even people on actualized giving some input not painting the pretty picture as it seemed to be.

But definitely can see how I can justify leaving the course now or get lots of ego reactions before/during/after.

So what to do then?

The way I see it, complete the course, see what Vipassana has to offer (the first few days are just being aware of breath) and try it 1-2 hours a day in the morning? It seems though that there might (probably) be a lot of ego during meditation/vipassana after reading anecdotal reports. But that this too will "pass" paradoxically.

@Prabhaker Isn't suffering a part of the meditation practice? Laughter, joy, playfulness seems like moment-to-moment experiences which you remain equanimous (or not) likewise all other emotions, feelings, etc. I guess it should be fun, right :) 

I agree, it's not really a beginners thing.  They allow beginners when I did it, but their "beginners course" was for those who want to take their existing meditation up a notch.  

There were people there who were on one year retreats.  The looked like zombies lol

2 minutes ago, Outer said:

How do you make the best of the course if you were a beginner and there? I'm going in a day or two and it took around 3 months to get the time. I can't not go, or not complete the course. It's not wise, but I have hope. I think that I should take this opportunity but try and make the best out of it.

7 hours of the meditation can be done in the room, but you can rest instead? But this doesn't really make any sense as it isn't following the teacher's instructions or the course (as much as possible).

It seems as keeping in mind what you say (the teachers, and many others) and do the 10 days of intense meditation with this in mind? Joy from realization of "basic truths" through the practice of meditation etc. :) Or just having fun.

The timetable is the following:

4:00 am Morning wake-up bell
4:30-6:30 am Meditate in the hall or in your room
6:30-8:00 am Breakfast break
8:00-9:00 am Group meditation in the hall
9:00-11:00 am Meditate in the hall or in your room according to the teacher's instructions
11:00-12:00 noon Lunch break
12noon-1:00 pm Rest and interviews with the teacher
1:00-2:30 pm Meditate in the hall or in your room
2:30-3:30 pm Group meditation in the hall
3:30-5:00 pm Meditate in the hall or in your own room according to the teacher's instructions
5:00-6:00 pm Tea break
6:00-7:00 pm Group meditation in the hall
7:00-8:15 pm Teacher's Discourse in the hall
8:15-9:00 pm Group meditation in the hall
9:00-9:30 pm Question time in the hall
9:30 pm Retire to your own room--Lights out

Don't worry, you wont go insane lol.  You dont have to do all of it, you can go out for a walk and do normal things, they dont force it on you.  As long as youre not disturbing others youre fine.  The worst bit is the boredom.  Do it and enjoy it is my advice, it wont kill you

49 minutes ago, Outer said:

How do you make the best of the course if you were a beginner and there? I'm going in a day or two and it took around 3 months to get the time. I can't not go, or not complete the course. It's not wise, but I have hope. I think that I should take this opportunity but try and make the best out of it.

7 hours of the meditation can be done in the room, but you can rest instead? But this doesn't really make any sense as it isn't following the teacher's instructions or the course (as much as possible).

We can't generalize everything, outcome of course depends on many things. It is influenced by your present mental and physical condition. Whether your instructor is a master or technician. There are technicians selling the technique of Vipassana. And people are gullible. When they see that so many people are going, they start thinking perhaps they should also go. Still I will advise you to join the course. If it helps, that will be great. If it doesn't work, it will give you experience and maturity.