John

Hero With A Thousand Faces

3 posts in this topic

Does anyone else find the language in Joseph Campbell's famous book to be really pretentious? Each page filled with annoying academic language? To me some parts of the book almost read like that episode of friends where Joey translates something he wrote using a thesaurus to make it sound smarterxD

Most of you will probably tell me to check my ego and give the book another try but to me his ego seems ginormous throughout.. Especially when he gets to talking about nothingness and God. It feels like he drifts into academic language to escape the fact that he doesn't truly know what he is talking about..

Anyone agree? Or is this all my pathetic ego...

The Delphic Oracle said that I was the wisest of all the Greeks. It is because I alone of all the Greeks know that I know nothing.

-Socrates

I'm a huge fan of audio books and listen to at least one a week on average . I don't think I made it through chapter 2 of that book. I'm sure there are valuable lessons to be gleaned from it but I think I've heard them all paraphrased by people much more intelligent than myself , and that'll have to do I suppose because. 

What can you expect from an academic? ;)

Worth reading though.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.