Nyseto

Rupert Spira says happiness is the highest meditation

14 posts in this topic

He also says meditation is not what we do, but what we are. Like a portable paradise. When you think about it, he's got a point. What is the main reason we do anything at all at the end of the day? I used to chase enlightenment because I wanted to be happy. 

I feel that the main point of meditation and the idea of enlightenment gets so skewed and buried under so much bullshit that people end up further from it. There are so many paths and different spiritual teachers that people go on spiritual shopping sprees. 

We all want joy and fulfillment, even those that end up doing some evil shit. Technically they don't want to be fulfilled because they entertain their suffering but they're suffering due to pursuing happiness.

Thoughts?

Couldn't agree more, but it's not popular around here:D

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

What a great way of looking at it. He has such a brilliant way of delivering his message. 

7 hours ago, Nyseto said:

I used to chase enlightenment because I wanted to be happy. 

Enlightenment happens with dropping the “I”.  After enlightenment, freedom is inevitable, which is priceless. If you mean happiness by that, yes totally agreed. ?

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

2 hours ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

Couldn't agree more, but it's not popular around here:D

Well it's kind of misleading. Enlightenment is beyond the typical ideas of happiness vs sadness.

The constant grasping for pleasure and avoidance of pain is itself inner resistance.

So in a sense it could be said Enlightenment is the acceptance of all emotions, and that acceptance is the peace of mind or the happiness which is longed for.

Old Rupert would be better off just telling everybody it's the acceptance of all emotion not just happiness. And I'm sure he does somewhere ? ❤

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

people do whatever they want! Evil is a relative term! people dont call their actions evil, and if they do it is because on some level they realize that they couldnt help but do it.

2 hours ago, James123 said:

Enlightenment happens with dropping the “I”.  After enlightenment, freedom is inevitable, which is priceless. If you mean happiness by that, yes totally agreed. ?

There is nothing else other than that which i mean by happiness lol. That's exactly it.

3 hours ago, Nyseto said:

There is nothing else other than that which i mean by happiness lol. That's exactly it.

Great! ??

Peace!

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

4 hours ago, VeganAwake said:

Well it's kind of misleading. Enlightenment is beyond the typical ideas of happiness vs sadness.

The constant grasping for pleasure and avoidance of pain is itself inner resistance.

So in a sense it could be said Enlightenment is the acceptance of all emotions, and that acceptance is the peace of mind or the happiness which is longed for.

Old Rupert would be better off just telling everybody it's the acceptance of all emotion not just happiness. And I'm sure he does somewhere ? ❤

Happiness is not the opposite of sadness since it has no opposite. Pleasure has an opposite but not joy. That peace of mind or acceptance is what I mean by happiness. Of course the idea of happiness is still just an idea. But happiness only comes with enlightenment. There is no self, so no problem. Only challenges 

Edited by Nyseto

Pursueing happiness is bound to lead to unhappiness. You become happy through living. Just simplify your life and your mind, and you will reach peace and happiness.

“Nowhere is it writ that anthropoid apes should understand reality.” - Terence McKenna

16 minutes ago, Bodhitree said:

Pursueing happiness is bound to lead to unhappiness. You become happy through living. Just simplify your life and your mind, and you will reach peace and happiness.

Exactly. 

I just recently was shocked by something Rupert said about happiness in a his "The Transparency of Things: Contemplating the Nature of Experience" book. We cannot actually remember the experience of happiness, only the objects and circumstances around it. All my life I've been told it's not about things and felt the truth of this deeply, but I never really understood how my mind deceives me into thinking that people, places, experiences and things can make me happy. Then I tried minimalism, thinking that lack of things would make me happy. xD There's nothing wrong with finding happiness in things unless you feel the absence of happiness because you notice the absence of the object you mistakenly credited it with. But yes, happiness/Love/Joy/Being/Awareness is just who you truly are. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

5 hours ago, VeganAwake said:

Yup, that's what it's about.

2 hours ago, Nyseto said:

Happiness is not the opposite of sadness since it has no opposite. Pleasure has an opposite but not joy. That peace of mind or acceptance is what I mean by happiness. Of course the idea of happiness is still just an idea. But happiness only comes with enlightenment. There is no self, so no problem. Only challenges 

? A nice steady underlying flow of peace regardless of external circumstance... but then again sometimes I like a little chaos lol.

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi