Gesundheit

My MBTI has changed more than once!

9 posts in this topic

I don't remember the first time I did the test and I don't quite recall my first result, but I am sure it's different from the recent ones.

I just did the test now. My last two trials are one year apart. I shifted from ISFJ-T to ISFP-A.

Are changes in personality a common thing? What are the likely reasons and consequences of slight changes? Can one change radically? Where to best educate myself about the functions? Anything else that you like to add would be appreciated too!

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

I had asked the same question a month ago, and this is the thread. 

Hope this helps. 

Here you have scientific perspective

Edited by Username

@xxxx @Keyhole @Username Thank you very much! I'll check them out.

@lmfao Your contribution would be of utmost importance to me.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

Don’t trust https://www.16personalities.com if that’s where you took your tests. I’m guessing you took the test there since there’s turbulent/assertiveness axis to your result. If you didn't take it on that site, then probs another site which uses a very similar process. Lots of people get bad results on that site. That site gives me INFP.

16p.com is an attempt to fuse Big Five Personality Traits and MBTI, but it’s marketed as just being MBTI. Other sites and people do this too. (T/A axis is copying and pasting neuroticism into mbti, to make it 5 letters for the 5 scales in Big Five Traits). 
Big Five is not MBTI, and MBTI is not Big Five. You can find strong correlations sometimes, but they are not equivalent. 
--
Back to the question about personality changing. Your age will be an important factor here. You’re a young guy. Maybe you’re 17 or 18, I don’t know. But during these years, a lot can change, or things will take form that you didn’t know you had in you. I’m 20 and am a different person to who I was when I was 16 or 17, a lot can change in these years. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
All cleared up, now about understanding mbti. My favourite channel has been this one https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmDcT_Pujk8vOcxk_IcnxtQ . He's a bit abstract and might throw you into the deep-end. He's not complicated, just might feel weird to follow, but his channel was more insightful than everyone else I've seen.

He has individual videos comparing every introverted function with it's extroverted counterpart in depth. He has videos explaining function axes as well. He has a video talking about how the Ti-Fe and Ne-Si axes are both  "democratic , universal, fair-minded" in contrast to Te-Fi and Ni-Se axes both being "monarchical, contextual and goal orientated". 

A while back I compiled this playlist of videos I thought good for anyone to watch who wants to watch MBTI. As long as you have some basic knowledge and won't be completely confused. You can watch the videos in whatever order you want. Some of these will be extremely illuminating for learning the theory quickly, especially the ones where he compared every function with it's introverted/extroverted counterpart. 

---

Back when I was into MBTI more, the test I saw lots of people taking and getting good results with was this one http://jung.test.typologycentral.com (I know of one bias in it away from a particular cognitive function, I won't say what it is) . This site also has a good test https://sakinorva.net/functions (aware of a bias towards a particular cognitive function). 

So here's a starting step you might do, putting everything else I said to one side for now. Whatever type(s) you think you are or suspect you are (whether you already have some guesses, or use the results from the test I linked above), select the appropriate video(s) to watch made by that same YouTube channel from this playlist in his series called "The Types Revisited" . See if what he's saying clicks or resonates. You're not ISFJ. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

18 hours ago, Gesundheit said:

Are changes in personality a common thing? What are the likely reasons and consequences of slight changes? Can one change radically? Where to best educate myself about the functions? Anything else that you like to add would be appreciated too!

I guarantee you that your type hasn't changed.  Any self-administered test is unreliable for certain people.  It's filled with possibility of bias in answering the questions.  You can answer questions in different ways: narrowly or broadly.  You can fail to be objective about yourself, etc.

There's simply a world of difference between an ISFJ and an ISFP.  One is a "guardian" type (SJ) and one is an "artisan" type (SP.)  Those are completely different categories, easily observable to anyone who cares to look at the differences.

Read the descriptions for ISFJ and ISFP.  Then decide which fits you better over a consistent timespan.  Any fluctuations in behavior don't make you a different type.  E.g. If a typically spontaneous and impulsive ISFP is forced to do something regularly and on-schedule it doesn't make him an ISFJ.

You simply can't change from one to the other. An ISFP is an Fi dom, an ISFJ is an Fe aux.  So there's a strong Fe and no Fi in the top 4 functions, you don't suddenly become an Fi dom.

The easiest way to know is to learn about functions and figure out your dominant function.  Fi (for ISFP) is introverted feeling, very different from the introverted sensing of an ISFJ.

Edited by Haumea2018

Considering it's unlikely you're still a child (with your 2k posts on here), I'd say there's less than a 0.1% chance your type changed.  

Considering you rely on "tests", your understanding of the model is unlikely to be advanced at all.

I'd say there's around a ~99% chance you mistyped at some point.  

T vs A is so subjective and simple.. Just read the descriptions and you'll immediately know yours FOREVER!  (not that it's a credible enough to matter much)

ISFJ-T to ISFP-A.

• ISFJ =  SiFeTiNe
  • ISFP = FiSeNiTe

Using the letters alone is fine, to an extent (e.g. with Keirsey), but you will never switch from SiFeTiNe to FiSeNiTe.

The only thing that could've changed is the development of one of your weaker functions, OR you've switched from/to using your unconscious side.  But both normally require years, so you probably just mistyped.

Edited by nitramadas

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

@lmfao Thanks for the detailed reply! Truly appreciated. I can't comment right up because I obviously don't have enough theory and you guys have already flooded me with information enough for the next few days. So maybe then I will return here and discuss. Right now I just want to comment on the age guessing thing. I'm not 17-18, that would be an underestimation. In the past people used to always overestimate me and assume I'm in my 30s. The truth is that I'm 24 but I'm guessing people judge according to levels of seriousness/neurosis? In the past, I was extremely neurotic and serious about life. I was able to decrease that significantly in the past few years. My approach has changed radically, and so people's assessments of my age when anonymous. On the other hand, in real life, I used to look younger than I actually am. Now, it's the other way around. Although I haven't changed anything regarding my looks. It's just that my face and hair pattern now seem more grown-up, and also my mind. But I still am the same innocent kid on the inside.

@Haumea2018 @nitramadas Thank you very much for your contributions. I might reply after I gather enough understanding.

16 hours ago, Gesundheit said:

Right now I just want to comment on the age guessing thing. I'm not 17-18, that would be an underestimation. In the past people used to always overestimate me and assume I'm in my 30s. The truth is that I'm 24 but I'm guessing people judge according to levels of seriousness/neurosis? In the past, I was extremely neurotic and serious about life. I was able to decrease that significantly in the past few years. My approach has changed radically, and so people's assessments of my age when anonymous. On the other hand, in real life, I used to look younger than I actually am. Now, it's the other way around. Although I haven't changed anything regarding my looks. It's just that my face and hair pattern now seem more grown-up, and also my mind. But I still am the same innocent kid on the inside.

@Gesundheit Lol my bad homie. I guessed you were young because sometime ago I somehow got the impression you were quite edgy (which I am)

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.