AAW

Imagination: path to creativity and transformation

4 posts in this topic

Life-changing moments are important to each of us for many different reasons. But I've noticed how the majority of people make little-next-to no effort to seize on opportunities to advance themselves in both their personal lives and their immediate society, due to a lack of imagination. 

I've always thought of transformation as a higher form of 'change', but the practitioner's attitude must be aligned correctly for the individual who desires to realise their own personal potential in a way that inspires the growth and development of soul, mind and body.

But development relies heavily on the kind of relationship a person keeps with their imagination, because this infinite mental space is endless, therefore giving the individual limitless opportunities to transform their life with creativity as a by-product of engaging with the imagination on a regular (daily) basis.

Are you seeking temporary change concerning something that you've struggled to achieve for years, or are you digging around for something more on the permanent side?

If your answer is the latter, it would appear that you've good experience with patience, drive/enthusiasm, purely because you've chosen to use each of your experiences as permanent life lessons...

But have you thought about what you'll do with those lessons?

Do you use your experiences as stepping-stones to your higher self where you'll unlock a new chapter in your personal life, or do you just stand and stare at your opportunities for advancement and adventure?

I enjoy a challenge, as I know many people do. But challenging scenarios can often deter folk from engaging with their imagination due to the nature it presents; the unforeseen...

How do you cope with the unknown - ever asked yourself? Try today, and expand your consciousness to a new state of awareness.

Thanks for reading - I respond to all replies!

@AAW The imagination operates analogous to how a film might, it puts the mind in the seat of a car that's going to take it to a ride its never experienced before and consequentially, experience contrast that makes it re-conceive of the present known world which is why, although films are good to store as memories because you can also practice rearranging them in a way that makes your present mind more flexible I'd preface this by preferencing imagination over films of course. The imagination also allows us to know and learn things that we've never learned before, for example, even though you may never have played the piano, as the vividness of your imagination increases, so too does the influence of the mental realm on the physical realm in terms of allowing you to learn things without being in the physical presence of the mental preoccupation.

What is the imagination though? I think this needs to be broken down.

To me as a preliminary definition outside the scope of standard ways of looking at it, it's simply the malleability of otherwise concrete contents in consciousness. That's from the perspective of a conscious definition though, because then we also have unconscious imagination don't we, which goes into wondering about the relationship between not only imagination and lucid dream states but also visions, premonitions and the like as well, as if to say that somehow, perhaps not the imagination but at least consciousness, has this inescapable link to the rest of reality, like an electric cord does a power outlet. For this I would wonder, is the imagination just the means to an end for this consciousness to reality relationship or does it play an intrinsic role somehow? In light of the malleability of the imagination, I suspect that it's perhaps a bit of both but leaning towards just a means to an end simply because its an ability that can decrease or increase relative to use which seems to independently change relative to consciousnesses possible connection with all of reality.

I'll be releasing a book on the imagination within the next couple of years so I know a bit more than most so happy to share ideas as well as learn what ideas you may wish to share. Good post!

@neutralempty Yeah imagination is much more nuanced than people realise, memory and intelligence, also nuanced, naturally overlap with imagination and imagination they, but they're not synonymous, this is a geometric interplay, its not as simple as saying its "all imagination", not even that its "all intelligence", although its more the latter its not from the strictest sense because there are things that both memory and imagination do in the context of both one another that are arguably not all that intelligent, though some of those things may still be useful to specific forms of imagination and memory itself.

For the former, level of detail has a bottleneck regarding its utility for intelligence, after a certain point the extra detail isn't going to aid in the context of problem solving but for the sheer value of creating a realistic experience that augments our perceived consciousness it does, and thus may have both pro's and con's for our psychology. The same too for hyperthymesia or "superior autobiographical memory", given this isn't coupled with processing power, its utility is proportionally useless, because of course the more processing power you have the more useful having more memory becomes, while at the same time having at least an average memory is useful across all scales.

Unless you've been socially ousted by your peer group in the 1300's for stealing a loaf of bread so now you'll be beheaded, the less you remember about the incident and the upcoming beheading even during the process perhaps the better off you'll be from a general happiness perspective. This is of course how popular, albeit idiosyncratically typical to a bemusing culturally impoverished society, adages like "ignorance is bliss" came to light. Interpreted properly, its not that ignorance is bliss, its that someone just has an easier time of forgetting the pain, but the pain is still there nonetheless unless they're being cared completely for by social nets.

To the contrary, all things held equal, although it can be a double edged sword, in many instances in light of the suffering and realignment people need to go through, the lack of imagination is most certainly not bliss in these instances, the ignorance (+ capacity) of which often comes at the cost of recovery.

Just as its been postulated that virtual reality can be a form of treating people with various phobias to other so too the harnessing of or building of a powerful imagination for strategic self-interested, self-actualising purposes.

Edited by Origins

@neutralempty Create a site and charge people for it though haha, I can easily see for example how simply understanding the mechanics of imagination can be so important for just for staying on track in goal acquisition, especially the more creative those goals are.

Most people create a gap between thought, imagination and goal acquisition. By merging them into one while simultaneously separating them, you can understand how you need just as much energy used in the brain storming phase to create the goals as you do in the chasing of those goals in the imaginary realm. For example its easy for people to get to the goal completion phase and just kind of forget the meaning of what they're doing because they've forgotten that the mental effort they needed to create the vision is now the mental effort they need to protect the vision from outside noise. Analogous to a signal to noise ratio, first you create the signal, the vision, then you protect it from the noise while maintaining an imagination for that signal. It's easy to see then why disinvesting from activities that harm attention while investing in those activities that improve attention has many long term gains.