Strangeloop

I still don't get paradoxes

15 posts in this topic

Like what is a paradox? My mind says it's "that". What is that? The way I understand it that it's a contradiction. by saying it's that I mean that it's not that. I just sound like a hypocrite. I keep finding these contradictions. Are contradictions really a paradox? I'm trying to logiccally wrap around this phenomena. It's a set of belief. I do know something about it. Or am I just trying to convince myself that I know it? Either way after watching Leo's video on the topic after a long time... It seems I got nothing from the video. maybe just some beliefs and unconscious interpretations of those beliefs. 

@Strangeloop interesting question from member who's name is 'strangeloop' and who's image is an Escher. :P

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

Here are a couple paradoxes-

You can't 'do nothing'. Even 'doing nothing' would be 'what you are doing'.  

How can you try to do anything, if 'trying' is something you do, meaning you would have to 'try to try' before you could try, unless trying is something you do without trying. ;)

8 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

@Strangeloop interesting question from member who's name is 'strangeloop' and who's image is an Escher. :P

It's good to be honest at least. 

A lot of people on this forum could use more of that. 

13 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

Here are a couple paradoxes-

You can't 'do nothing'. Even 'doing nothing' would be 'what you are doing'.  

How can you try to do anything, if 'trying' is something you do, meaning you would have to 'try to try' before you could try, unless trying is something you do without trying. ;)

Or maybe you can't do anything? How can anything be done if there is no one to do anything? Hmmm... ;)xD

A paradox is what happens when the finite mind tries to describe an infinite aspect of reality through its own superficially dualistic terms

I realized this after I had an experience of nothingness. After reading that over, I realized that I experienced a paradox. It is entirely possible to experience nothingness, but impossible for the finite mind to reconcile that since it can only think in dualisms, so it gets turned into a paradox. It's impossible for me to imagine my experience of nothingness because in order to have a thought you need a finite object of some sort to think about.

Here is one of my favorite ones: 

The second sentence is false. The first sentence is true.

Describe a thought.

Your mission is not to accept this mission, do you accept? 

If you are a materialist then paradoxes follows by neccesity, i think Nietszche actually wrote some deadly extentions of that conclusion in BGE.

Like the world only has to 'comply' to our intelectual faculties. 

The only paradox is that there are no paradox if ever there were one, or rather that there can not be KNOWN one. 

You can in a roundabout way get to epistemological non-dualism (if one would dare call it that considering what we are discussing, hehe) by means of no spiritual sensation if the prior points are embodied.

For how paradoxical is it not, that 'nothing' can both be before life aswell as after life, AS WELL as within the universe and without it? AS WELL as before the big bang as well as within it and after it? To the degree one finds those paradoxical is to the degree one can induce if not deduce non duality AS WELL as the limits of reason (yes another paradox), but will be yet to embody that which goes beyond it. 

Now one have used paradoxical means to conclude something of relative certainty (a certainty confined within the limits of the asserted scope), which i find hillarious.

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?

9 hours ago, Strangeloop said:

Like what is a paradox? My mind says it's "that". What is that? The way I understand it that it's a contradiction. by saying it's that I mean that it's not that. I just sound like a hypocrite. I keep finding these contradictions. Are contradictions really a paradox? I'm trying to logiccally wrap around this phenomena. It's a set of belief. I do know something about it. Or am I just trying to convince myself that I know it? Either way after watching Leo's video on the topic after a long time... It seems I got nothing from the video. maybe just some beliefs and unconscious interpretations of those beliefs. 

I view a paradox as simply something our minds have trouble with, and or physically can not comprehend due to our logical base. Since we have a very logical framework, we simply cannot understand something that seems illogical to us.

Though doth not want these hands! - Jesus

10 hours ago, Strangeloop said:

And?

On 2020-10-29 at 7:28 PM, Mason Riggle said:

That's the real paradox ;)

"Sometimes when it's dark - we have to be the light in our own tunnel"