Tovius

Psychedelics, naive spirituality, and infinity

13 posts in this topic

I was watching one of Leo's videos about psychedelics and he made a comment about how one has to be careful not to fall for any beliefs on what you see. For instance if one we're to do some LSD and were to see Jesus or something that one believes, that person would have to go beyond that to reach enlightenment experience. 

My question, if one has to be cautious not to mistake certain things we may want to see for an enlightenment experience, how does one know that when one sees infinity, that itself is not just a belief of what one wanted to see? 

What is different about this experience that makes you sure it's not another deception?

Because inifnite is one of the labels mystics use to describe consciusness. His insight make sense. I don't think you can see Jesus permanently while you are sober.. However you can see reality as infinite permanelty if you are aware enough.

Edited by RedLine

super mega repeated question..

Just do the work and see it for yourself

Truth is neither a destination nor a conclusion. Truth is a living experience.

30 minutes ago, Javfly33 said:

super mega repeated question..

Just do the work and see it for yourself

You shouldn't discourage questions being asked on this forum. 

Edited by Tovius

16 minutes ago, Tovius said:

You shouldn't discourage questions being asked on this forum. 

46 minutes ago, Javfly33 said:

mention error

He talks about non-dual stories for hours but if you question it, the answers is go and find by yourself. This doesn't make much sense. If the point is to be open and investigate by yourself, then why does he tell us all that stories about infinite, non duality, love etc?. These are all IDEAS (from his trips or whatever) not direct experience. Once you put direct experience into words it is not direct experience anymore, it is a story. So basically the audience is intellectually learning that lessons.

Edited by RedLine

@RedLine Fair point, but the same could be said of all spiritual teaching. All lessons are only conceptual pointers to This.

Edited by Moksha

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

Use of Psychedelics for Self Realization may make 95% of the people addict.

The proper way is as follow:

Keep doing as mentioned below and in a process you will feel joyful, blissful and ultimately become enlightened and attain moksh

Being purified by his intelligence and controlling the mind with determination

giving up the objects of sense gratification

being freed from attachment and hatred

one who lives in a secluded place

who eats little

who controls his body mind and power of speech

who is always in trance

who is detached, free from false ego, false strength, false pride, lust, anger, and
acceptance of material things, free from false proprietorship, and peaceful

—such a person is

certainly elevated to the highest position and remains in Bliss, Paramanand forever.

Once you do above in totality, in a process you suddenly start feeling joy within which keeps growing for longer and longer time.

From here everything happens automatically and you remain in Bliss.

Edited by Atmagyani

14 minutes ago, Moksha said:

@RedLine Fair point, but the same could be said of all spiritual teaching. All lessons are only conceptual pointers to This.

what is the teaching of this exactly?

can you understand infinite trough words? Was this video actually useful for you or anybody? I mean in a contemplative way, not as intelectual understanding.

@RedLine I tried scrolling through the video to find what you're referring to, but I'm guessing it's a visual pointer. Concepts can arise from any of the senses, but they are still just concepts. Which doesn't disqualify them from being pointers. Even the tree in my backyard is a conceptual image in my brain, yet it points me to the deep I. Every teaching is, and only can be, conceptual. It can point at ultimate reality but by definition it cannot be ultimate reality. That doesn't make it useless.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

7 hours ago, Tovius said:

My question, if one has to be cautious not to mistake certain things we may want to see for an enlightenment experience, how does one know that when one sees infinity, that itself is not just a belief of what one wanted to see? 

Haha!

When you die, you'll know it.

It's absolutely unbelievable.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

23 minutes ago, Moksha said:

@RedLine I tried scrolling through the video to find what you're referring to, but I'm guessing it's a visual pointer. Concepts can arise from any of the senses, but they are still just concepts. Which doesn't disqualify them from being pointers. Even the tree in my backyard is a conceptual image in my brain, yet it points me to the deep I. Every teaching is, and only can be, conceptual. It can point at ultimate reality but by definition it cannot be ultimate reality. That doesn't make it useless.

The point is that is not a teaching, that is an attemp to describe the Absolute. 

A teaching is an briefing to meditation, to practice, not an intelectual statement about Reality/God.

7 hours ago, Tovius said:

how does one know that when one sees infinity

Is infinite because it's limitless. Like eternal is because time doesn't run

20 minutes ago, RedLine said:

The point is that is not a teaching, that is an attemp to describe the Absolute. 

A teaching is an briefing to meditation, to practice, not an intelectual statement about Reality/God.

The Bhagavad Gita and other scriptures are full of teachings that point both to the nature of God and to the path to God.

If by Absolute you are referring to Ultimate Realty, any attempt to describe it is bound to failure. It is beyond the capacity of the human mind to comprehend. The ancient Hindus referred to it as simply Tat, which means "That". That is why it is called the Mystery.