r0ckyreed

Proof of Free Will: Why Compatibilism is Correct!

31 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

Meditation is about discovering that you're not in control and never will be, and in giving up the need to control, you actually gain control. If there is nothing you need to control, then you're actually fully in control. The idea that you have to do something in order to gain control already assumes that you're not already in control. There is nothing you need to do: you're in control.

Meditation is also about realizing that you are God, and therefore has infinite will!  There is no duality between voluntary and involuntary action.  They are one.  You are controlling everything.  Yet, everything is happening to you. Both are true.  

“Our most valuable resource is not time, but rather it is consciousness itself. Consciousness is the basis for everything, and without it, there could be no time and no resource possible. It is only through consciousness and its cultivation that one’s passions, one’s focus, one’s curiosity, one’s time, and one’s capacity to love can be actualized and lived to the fullest.” - r0ckyreed

10 minutes ago, r0ckyreed said:

Meditation is also about realizing that you are God, and therefore has infinite will!  There is no duality between voluntary and involuntary action.  They are one.  You are controlling everything.  Yet, everything is happening to you. Both are true.  

That is not an argument for compatiblism though, because compatibilists use a relative definition of free will. You're talking about The Absolute. Free will as a concept becomes meaningless when dealing with The Absolute.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

1 hour ago, Carl-Richard said:

That is not an argument for compatiblism though, because compatibilists use a relative definition of free will. You're talking about The Absolute. Free will as a concept becomes meaningless when dealing with The Absolute.

Good point!  I think I am starting to realize from all of your responses, that free will is an illusion, but a necessary illusion for the ego to survive.  The ego has to feel like it has control, which I guess is part of what it means to be ego.  

“Our most valuable resource is not time, but rather it is consciousness itself. Consciousness is the basis for everything, and without it, there could be no time and no resource possible. It is only through consciousness and its cultivation that one’s passions, one’s focus, one’s curiosity, one’s time, and one’s capacity to love can be actualized and lived to the fullest.” - r0ckyreed

It's not compatibilism, free will or determinism. Choice is a geometrical phenomenon. All of you look at it too reductionistically no matter what side you're on. You exist on a feedback loop, at no point in this feedback loop does determinism or free will or compatibilism make any sense. Your choice exists only adaptively. It's not something you "try" and do, its not something you "try" and chase, it just happens. Let it all go.

7 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

Meditation is about discovering that you're not in control and never will be, and in giving up the need to control, you actually gain control. If there is nothing you need to control, then you're actually fully in control. The idea that you have to do something in order to gain control already assumes that you're not already in control. There is nothing you need to do: you're in control.

Every time I read no free will nonsense I am wondering how people who believe it don't  see how they are contradicting their own belief constantly. 

On 10/6/2020 at 11:31 PM, Someone here said:

Do NOT think of a pink elephant.. 

If you did... Free will debunked. 

If you didn't.. Free will debunked. 

?

Ya see it's not "you" who thinks or not think.  For whom is the free will?

Try to Rewrite your post without using the words "I".. "me" or "we".

The big problem I see is that Determinism is unfalsifiable.  There is no way disprove that Determinism is false.  So what would be evidence of free will?

On 08/10/2020 at 5:09 PM, Nahm said:

@LastThursday

Ever moved? 

I've never not moved. I don't seem to be able to choose to stop.

Edited by LastThursday

57% paranoid

21 hours ago, Opaltri said:

Every time I read no free will nonsense I am wondering how people who believe it don't  see how they are contradicting their own belief constantly. 

That's just your inability to conceive of something outside your own perspective. I'm perfectly capable of understanding why people feel like they have free will or don't have free will. There are more valid ways of arriving at either conclusion, namely through experience. If you still feel like you're the source of your own actions, then you just have to wait until you experience merging with something greater than yourself, where your own personal will gives in to the greater cosmic will. Then you become the source of every action in the universe, because you are everything. Therefore, you are simultaneously the source of your actions (because you're all of it) and also not (because you have no choice but to be all of it). That is the trick of non-duality: it can be expressed through both sides of a duality.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Sure there is free will. But that's not the right question. The question should be, who is it that has the free will?

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

7 hours ago, r0ckyreed said:

The big problem I see is that Determinism is unfalsifiable.  There is no way disprove that Determinism  is false.  So what would be evidence of free will?

Free will and Determinism are just concepts. They don't reflect a 1% of 1% of 1% of how reality actually works. 

my mind is gone to a better place.  I'm elevated ..going out of space . And I'm gone .