Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KaRzual

digestion - sleep quality problem

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys i'd really love to get some help from you. My sleep was pretty bad from when i remember - i may establish nice sleeping routine (going to sleep at 11 pm, getting up at 7/8 am) but when i wake up i'm tired. Either little tired or REALLY tired not having energy to get out from bed.

I have noticed some pattern. When i sleep better or atleast relatively better i digest better. For little context i excercise and eat like 3,000 kcal a day. My diet is usually 50% fats (red meat, avacado, nuts) 30-40% protein (cheese, milk, chicken) and 10-20% carbs (rice, groats). I eat pretty clean, i don't drink soft drinks etc and i dont eat sweets (maybe sometimes during weekend). 

Usually i feel like i eat really loads of food to grow muscles, but being honestly rude with you guys - i shit really small amounts and i feel like i'm not completly empty after going to the toilet. 

I sense that somehow my sleep quality and my digestion is connected, but i don't know how and which causes which. I'd really love to be able to defecate fully and feel rested after the night. 

Any ideas? What should i check and look at? In addition i have to add that i have some skin related problems - my skin itches in different places and i have to take some histamine bloker to stop the skin itching. 

A diet too low in carbs usually means too low in fiber. Add in more veggies slowly but progressively. Carbs help you sleep better, that's why too many make you tired. Carbs later in the day are better than earlier in the day. 

Carbs and cardio exercise will make you sleep amazingly well. If you're just doing weight lifting and eating protein, which is what I'm assuming from your post, it would make sense that that balance would be off and affect your sleep quality. 

Dairy may be the culprit for the skin issues. And the digestion issues. 

Edited by mandyjw

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

Cool. What specific kind of food would you propose as a fiber source? 

On 29/09/2020 at 3:22 PM, KaRzual said:

r little context i excercise and eat like 3,000 kcal a day. My diet is usually 50% fats (red meat, avacado, nuts) 30-40% protein (cheese, milk, chicken)

That's over 350g of protein if my calculation is right provided that 1g of protein has around 4kcal. That's a LOT! You are asking for some serious trouble with that amount of aminos pooling down your gut and kidneys and no fibre to help move them through. Without any fibre you are at massive risk of protein putrefaction in the distal part of colon and potential formation of polyps even worse in the future, some serious consequences could come out of that. Definitely up your fibre as @mandyjw suggested if you want to see your children grow up. No jokes here 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569 Woah, that sounds crazy. I actually bought right now brown rice and rye flakes, lets move this gut. However i still don't know whats about that itching. 

3 minutes ago, KaRzual said:

Woah, that sounds crazy. I actually bought right now brown rice and rye flakes, lets move this gut. However i still don't know whats about that itching. 

Definitely cut down on protein and fats, especially those of animal origin in favour of some good sources of carbs: like brown rice, quinoa, buckwheat amaranth, beans, lentils, sweet potatoes. More vegetables (half of every plate)  and more fruits (at least 4 per day + some berries ) and the constipation will sort itself out, I can pretty much guarantee that. 

The bowels need a lot of fibre to move the stuff through. Lot of hydration as well. 

In terms of itching, it is fairly unspecific symptom but liver could be involved, I would say it is related to the gut but it may fix itself once you start getting more plants in :)

At the same time no harm in getting some blood work including liver enzymes, kidney filtration etc. Your doc will know. 

All the best"

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569 I simply love you mate, your level of knowledge is very high. Thanks, imma go eat some healthy carbs!

@KaRzual awesome! btw about that itching, let me just changewhat I said and tell you to go see your doc. Just to be sure that pancreas is not inflamed or anything like that. Better be safe than sorry :) 

3 hours ago, KaRzual said:

Cool. What specific kind of food would you propose as a fiber source? 

VEGGIES! Any of em'. Pick your favorites and branch out later. :) 

This is my favorite kind of rice. Doesn't give me any energy crashes like white rice but I like it a lot better than brown rice for taste. https://www.amazon.com/Lundberg-Family-Farms-Blend-Ounce/dp/B000G82L62 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost