Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wouter

How Much Time Does It Take To Build A Website Like This

10 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am thinking about starting a project, wich would contain building a website. I have no idea how much time it would take to make this website.

Let's say for example, I make a website like this: actualized.org how long would it take for a newbie like me to build this website (only the software off course, not the  content)? 100 hours, 1000 hours, 5000 hours?

@Wouter Well, it all depends on what you decide to do or what you need to do. Do you need to learn how to program websites? Because that would increase the time by A LOT.

I am quite sure Leo bought the "web-base" however maintains it by himself which requires time and certain knowledge.

You can obviously hire someone to create a website for you or just someone who "creates the base" and you will continue to make changes/improvements on it by yourself. 

@reez Thanks for your reply :-)

I want to do it whole by myself, from scratch, ie I also need to learn to program a website.

I know this will take a  lot of time, I just want to have a more concrete idea of what this means.

Just start do do a very little project, and see how much time and effort this little project already requires. By a little project I mean something like making a little button and write a heading. Then you will be able to estimate it better.

Actualized.org is a very simple, static website. If you take away the content it's very little functionality. I could rebuild it in a matter of hours.

@Wouter You should also differentiate between code and design. If you dont care about design, the code for a website/forum like actualized.org can be learned in a few days by following some tutorials, walk-throughs. The hard part is to be happy with the design, visualizing it, making your vision work with reality. Kind of similar to most the things in life.

If you are more the kind of guy that follows tutorials or copies code from 3rds rather than studying the real basics of webdesign languages and fight your way through all the details, you will have to make a LOT of compromises while creating your site. Its very hard to make code work for you that you dont fully understand. Lets say you find a nice piece of code that looks like exactly the thing you need to implement in your site but there are 5 lines of code in it that you just cant wrap your head around, googling hours and hours just to realize you have to take a step back and dismiss your "great idea". Thats exactly what I've been struggleling for years and its very disappointing and sucks your energy of being creative during the process of creating great things.

I can only talk about my experience here. I am not very disciplined though which is a huge problem for these tasks. If you are disciplined enough, this may be a whole other experience for you.

A place to start might be codecademy.com

I write advice not to convert you to my "truth" but for you in hope that something resonates and you are able to further develop your own "truth"

On 2016-08-18 at 1:23 PM, cirkussmile said:

Content is quite important if you want visitors :)

You dont say

On 8/18/2016 at 0:23 PM, cirkussmile said:

Content is quite important if you want visitors :)

Very Important =)

I write about scientific-based self-help, habits, productivity, creativity and ancient wisdom over at www.selfempoweredlife.com

"Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep" - The Internet