Vaishnavi

Too Early To Introduce Personal Development To My Brother ?

13 posts in this topic

So i really want to introduce conscious  personal development to my brother as soon as possible. But I feel he's too young. He'll be 13 in October. I want to do so cuz first of all, he hates studying and I don't really blame him but I don't want him to develop the same feeling for learning. He is always busy with his xbox and can spend literally hours in front of the tv. He eats junk all the time and the only books he enjoy is the wimpy kid series. I know he's too young and all of this is natural but I don't want him to carry these habits in his teenage years. My parents care for him but they don't really give priority to personal development.

So when and how should I introduce personal development to him?

P.S. He loves imitating Leo but never really continued listening to him for more than a minute.¬¬

Introducing him to personal development at 13 is an excellent idea because it will give him a huge head start!! I think you should gradually expose him to foundational material rather than the intermediate or advanced material. It would probably be best if he started at the newbie level and gradually advanced his way up. It would be overwhelming him if you introduced him to advanced topics like life purpose! 

@Vaishnavi I wish my older sister would have introduced me to personal development when I was 13! Could of 'saved' me a lot of time. But the path I took might have been necessary to find out what I DON'T want.  So I do not think it is too early. In fact, personal development should start as soon as a baby is born. In that sense you can question the entire way we raise our kids nowadays, the entire education system.

So the questions is not IF, but HOW? How do you get a 13 year old interested in meditation, self inquiry and consciousness work but on a beginners level. So without telling him "your self is an illusion young boy" . hahaha

Rupert Spira is enlightened and said he does not bother to try to convey Truth to his kids. He said something like "They'll come to me when they are ready". Now Leo said something that enlightened people generally are not concerned with teaching other the Truth.

I think the most important is that you don't obligate him to do it. Be the example and then he will ask you advice. Motivate him and give him lots of love instead of criticizing him for playing Xbox all the time. Invite him to walks in nature. Teach him that walking in nature with sister is more fun that hanging in front of the tv set with a bag of chips and a bottle of soda.

p.s. I like imitating Leo also... "Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii this is Leo, foooooooor Actualized.org, and in THIS episode I am going to talk about how to get teenagers into personal development."

I would thrown him into martial arts. I dont know any better way to build confidence for a young man

I think you can at least try, but I do not think he is going to be engaged because personale development work is not that exciting compared to video games and it takes wisdom to see the potential it can have to continue due to the fact that that it is emotionally difficult. 

But if it works out and he gets on the journey, he has an amazing opportunity to influence his mind which is still very maluable with very high quality info and get a very deep mastery of life in the long term. 

Definetly worth a try ?

I will definitively  try to get my little sister into personal development when she is old enough. At the moment she is 9 and I told her something about my visions. Well, she doesn't take me really seriously. I once tried to convince her that she can do anything she wants in her life, she just has to work hard enough. She ignored me and just said that she does not want to work hard. I had no chance to explain it to her.

I will have to wait and see when she is mature enough to grasp a little bit of the ideas I present to her. Until then I want to be a good role model and show her my results.

7 hours ago, quantum said:

I once tried to convince her that she can do anything she wants in her life, she just has to work hard enough. She ignored me and just said that she does not want to work hard.

Lol

Guess I'll be seeing her in the Youtube comment section in 20 years ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

6 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Lol

Guess I'll be seeing her in the Youtube comment section in 20 years ;)

I hope this will happen a bit earlier. But first she has to learn a lot of English

On 9 August 2016 at 11:29 PM, quantum said:

I will definitively  try to get my little sister into personal development when she is old enough. At the moment she is 9 and I told her something about my visions. Well, she doesn't take me really seriously. I once tried to convince her that she can do anything she wants in her life, she just has to work hard enough. She ignored me and just said that she does not want to work hard. I had no chance to explain it to her.

I will have to wait and see when she is mature enough to grasp a little bit of the ideas I present to her. Until then I want to be a good role model and show her my results.

Oh this is exactly my case. My brother too hates the idea of working hard and I'M finding it hard to engage him into doing even little jobs like reading a good adventurous book or something. And I totally agree with the idea of being a good role model. Example is the best way to lead. Good luck.

@Christian @Zane thank you so much for the boost. Much appreciated. 

@Eelco1981 I love your idea of inviting him for walks. Thanks. And oh I try my best to be sweet to him and not criticise him but sometimes he pisses me off really bad-_-

@Richard Alpert haha. I would love to do that but he's more into playing football and going for his drum classes. I think he wants to maintain his social image or something..

On 08/08/2016 at 5:47 PM, Vaishnavi said:

So when and how should I introduce personal development to him?

The problem is that you can't really 'make' people doing something. You have the best of intentions and can see a healthy path for your brother to follow but ultimately this is something that you want for him. It isn't comming from him. Genuine motivation has to come from within the person themself and all the best intentions in the world won't cultivate genuine motivation within another human. That only comes from a genuine interest and a realisation of the potential benefits.

The only way to guide others to see the benefits of a certain path is to be an example of that path, a role model for them, and give them the time to see how it works for you. They may then decide, on their own accord, to follow suit if they can see the benefits. Or they may not. But it ultimately comes down to their own choice. Even 'encouraging' people can create the opposite effect simply because it comes across as a demand and can be met with demand resistance.

I tried to 'encourage' and 'expose' my wife to personal development. The more I did so the more resistance I was met with. But I have found that in time, as my own interests and pursuits in the subject have grown, she has naturally taken an interest - albeit not a fully heart felt one but it's progress. I don't try to pressure her and I don't expect anything. She'll either decide to get more into it or she won't. That's her choice.

Ultimately the important thing is to continue with your own pursuit of personal development and not get too distracted in trying to 'sell it' to others. That can become a frustrating distraction to your own personal growth.

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu

Teach her threw example , be really really happy and positive enjoy life and let her know she can change for the better too. , when she is ready.

On August 11, 2016 at 3:57 PM, FindingPeace said:

The problem is that you can't really 'make' people doing something. You have the best of intentions and can see a healthy path for your brother to follow but ultimately this is something that you want for him. It isn't comming from him. Genuine motivation has to come from within the person themself and all the best intentions in the world won't cultivate genuine motivation within another human. That only comes from a genuine interest and a realisation of the potential benefits.

The only way to guide others to see the benefits of a certain path is to be an example of that path, a role model for them, and give them the time to see how it works for you. They may then decide, on their own accord, to follow suit if they can see the benefits. Or they may not. But it ultimately comes down to their own choice. Even 'encouraging' people can create the opposite effect simply because it comes across as a demand and can be met with demand resistance.

I tried to 'encourage' and 'expose' my wife to personal development. The more I did so the more resistance I was met with. But I have found that in time, as my own interests and pursuits in the subject have grown, she has naturally taken an interest - albeit not a fully heart felt one but it's progress. I don't try to pressure her and I don't expect anything. She'll either decide to get more into it or she won't. That's her choice.

Ultimately the important thing is to continue with your own pursuit of personal development and not get too distracted in trying to 'sell it' to others. That can become a frustrating distraction to your own personal growth.

Lovely! I completely agree. The more you try, the more resistance you feel. Thank you so much.

@Beam thank you for the insight :)