Emerald

Self Inquiry During A Lucid Dream

9 posts in this topic

The night before last, I woke up with sleep paralysis and from that state fell asleep into a lucid dream. Realizing that I was dreaming, I decided to experiment with self-inquiry during the dream state since the nature of being is ever-present. So, perhaps the breakthrough of enlightenment could be possible to have even in mid-sleep or it could at least give me insight as to what the dream experience shares in common with waking experience relative to being. So, I started asking myself "What's perceiving this?" Things got a little wavy and strange, but no Earth-shattering breakthroughs. But I do find it an interesting thing to experiment with because it seems like it could possibly work, and perhaps the fuzziness of the dream-state might allow for greater open-ness and receptivity. Just sharing... any thoughts?

Are you struggling with self-sabotage and CONSTANTLY standing in the way of your own success? 

If so, and if you're looking for an experienced coach to help you discover and resolve the root of the issue, you can click this link to schedule a free discovery call with me to see if my program is a good fit for you.

I remember hearing of reports of people having an enlightenment experience in their sleep. It's possible if you do lots of self-inquiry and carry the inquiry with you into bed.

Try doing inquiry for 5 days straight, day and night, 24/7, no matter what you're doing. I've tried it. It's fucking brutal. Even in my dreams I was inquiring. Don't really care to repeat that, but it can be very effective.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I remember hearing of reports of people having an enlightenment experience in their sleep. It's possible if you do lots of self-inquiry and carry the inquiry with you into bed.

Try doing inquiry for 5 days straight, day and night, 24/7, no matter what you're doing. I've tried it. It's fucking brutal. Even in my dreams I was inquiring. Don't really care to repeat that, but it can be very effective.

Thank you for the info. I will try this more in the future.

Are you struggling with self-sabotage and CONSTANTLY standing in the way of your own success? 

If so, and if you're looking for an experienced coach to help you discover and resolve the root of the issue, you can click this link to schedule a free discovery call with me to see if my program is a good fit for you.

I think it was Shinzen Young who I heard once say that some Eastern master told him that when he awakens in the morning he should remember whether he fell asleep that night on an in-breath, or on an out-breath. Hehe, those crazy Buddhists ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

10 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I think it was Shinzen Young who I heard once say that some Eastern master told him that when he awakens in the morning he should remember whether he fell asleep that night on an in-breath, or on an out-breath. Hehe, those crazy Buddhists ;)

That makes sense. As a child, I remember trying to remain aware of the exact moment that I went to sleep. I was never successful, but it seems like cultivating the ability to do this could sort of flex the awareness muscles. 

I decided to reply to this — albeit a year old thread — since I had a strange experience while self-inquiring in sleep.

I've been self-inquiring like hell lately, and sure enough, this night it transferred to my sleep. Immediately when I concentrated on the inner feeling of "I" in my sleep, I had a violent burst of energy all through my "sleep body". I don't really know how to describe it other than it being some kind of energy, and so violent that it woke me up, and I remained stunned after that. No traces left of the energy after waking up though.

I don't really know what to make of these enlightenment experiences while sleeping. My logical mind, of course, says that anything is possible in sleep so I shouldn't think about it too much, but then again, what is a dream and what is not...

4 hours ago, str4 said:

I decided to reply to this — albeit a year old thread — since I had a strange experience while self-inquiring in sleep.

I've been self-inquiring like hell lately, and sure enough, this night it transferred to my sleep. Immediately when I concentrated on the inner feeling of "I" in my sleep, I had a violent burst of energy all through my "sleep body". I don't really know how to describe it other than it being some kind of energy, and so violent that it woke me up, and I remained stunned after that. No traces left of the energy after waking up though.

I don't really know what to make of these enlightenment experiences while sleeping. My logical mind, of course, says that anything is possible in sleep so I shouldn't think about it too much, but then again, what is a dream and what is not...

It may have been a Kundalini movement or an energetic experience in general. Several times during sleep paralysis and one time after Kundalini meditation while I was sleeping, I've gotten bursts of energy running up and  my spine. The last one, felt just like electricity violently moving up my spine.

I'm practicing almost all day for a few weeks now.

It seems to carry over into dreams to some degree, dreams definitely have trippy deep moments in them at times (which also started after 5-MeO/ayahuasca, so I am not sure how related). As for the lucid dreams, after a shroom trip which started this journey some years ago, which clearly showed me life is a dream, all dreams have become semi-lucid, and I have given up trying to discern the waking/dream state.

Self-inquiry is there to some degree always, but I find that dreams are usually so dynamic and involving that there's nothing for me to do more except watch and enjoy the awe-inspiring (emotional) roller coaster.

-

I think that doing wake induced lucid dreaming is the only thing worth practicing on this field

Other techniques during the day are not worth the time because self-inquiry is already doing that.

WILD is really really hard though, not in terms of technique, but in terms actually doing it.

You need a strong mind to resist the grace of sleep and get up, keep yourself awake to then slowly go back into it.

But if you can manage it it's a strong spiritual tool for sure.

In a way, every dream stands to enlighten as we sure do convincingly perceive that there are others in our dreams. They seem so real, but there is just the dreamer. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE