Marv24

Leo's perspective on social media

8 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

My name is Marvin and I am new to the forum.

Been consistently listening and viewing Leo's videos since 2014.

The material presented on Actualized.org is a goldmine. And recently, I have purchased the life purpose course along with Leo's book list. 

I feel so privilege to have stumbled across this content. I have extremely grown myself internally because of it. Thank you Leo!

I am anxiously awaiting for the release on a video in the future, which covers the topic of social media. I want Leo's insight on the ubiquitous behemoth that is social media.

Looking forward to understanding everyone's perspectives about this topic as well.

Thank guys!

social.jpg

@Marv24

Welcome Marv! Nice Question. I think there are different Types of Social Media:

1. You need it to communicate because of work, Family and Friends (Whatsapp, Facebook, Telegram, Xing,..)
  2. It's nice to be there because of the content (Youtube, Pinterest, Tumbler...)
  3. the Time Dumpsters (Twitter, Instagram, Tik Tok, Snapchat,...).

You can use everything healthy, say for Entertainment but especially Twitter seems to be very Dangerous, because you get into fights. Also the other can be very time consuming

With that said I have only Messenger and I watch Youtube.

I tried Mastodon which is Open Source and free. Everyone can make it's own Instance which nobody can censor. Things like that are the Future, for the Light and the Dark. What we don't need are those Tech Companies who control too much for a Company. I'm not against a State Social Media, for Example for the US or the EU if it's open for Discussion. But it would be hard to implement

Greetings

Edited by supremeyingyang

@supremeyingyang I think some could make similar arguments about social media like they do with guns.  The argument that guns aren't the problem... It's the PEOPLE! The same could be argued for social media. It all depends on how it's being used and not who is using it.  It is important because social media gives us all a sense of interconnection.  I do believe it's toxic and unproductive at times. There are so many psychological aspects to it all too.  That is why I would like for Leo to give us his insights.  Marketing, networking, politics and  culture all use social media as an effective tool. It isn't heavily regulated to say the least and it's still evolving.  

9 minutes ago, Marv24 said:

@supremeyingyang I think some could make similar arguments about social media like they do with guns.  The argument that guns aren't the problem... It's the PEOPLE! The same could be argued for social media. It all depends on how it's being used and not who is using it.  It is important because social media gives us all a sense of interconnection.  I do believe it's toxic and unproductive at times. There are so many psychological aspects to it all too.  That is why I would like for Leo to give us his insights.  Marketing, networking, politics and  culture all use social media as an effective tool. It isn't heavily regulated to say the least and it's still evolving.  

it really tends to be unhealthy!

i'm curious what it will look like in 10, 20 or 30 years

Edited by supremeyingyang

I cut off all social media scrolling last week (fb and instagram). I am really glad i did that. It was very time consuming and i was hooked with the funny stuff. Everyone is addicted look around you with their fucking stories and shit like that. They lose all their free time to be on instagram and facebook. They are nice tools but almost noone is able to use them wisely because they are made to be addictive. I don't think the world is so much better with them growing so much in popularity but nobody can change that and we will see where this will lead us. 

Edited by BlackMaze

@BlackMaze I share similar sentiments. I have been off for almost a week now and feel refreshed. 

It's addictive and it mainly feeds the ego mind.

If you grew up as a kid playing outside in the 1990s for example, pre-internet; and are now a full blown adult in the present social media--you damn well know social media is toxic and terrible for the brain.  It causes your ego to have a digital ego lmao.  The nail in the coffin is the fact that you subconsciously compare yourself to others' posts on social media wether people will admit it or not.  Also, creeping on people and looking people up on social media is another problem--most won't admit they do this--but humans are incredibly curious and nosy.

I cut out FB and IG many years ago cold turkey.  I had people text me if I was okay, why did I delete, did I block them, etc.  Even to this day, my friends sometimes shake me down to make an Instagram account when we all hang out and have drinks and chill.  I tell them no because then we'd have nothing else to talk about when we hang out in person, I really love the spontaneous stories we tell each other!  They love it too they told me.  

Also, chicks dig guys without social media lol, I've learned this as a byproduct of being social media free.  It's really weird because you'd think its the opposite but it really fucks with their brain because it's like "who is this guy"

@hoodrow trillson damn!  Great insight. I never noticed how much less personable interactions have become physically. There is no narrative to discuss because everyone already knows everything they need to know about you due to the constant updates. Stalking does persist heavily and I have been guilty of it. I haven't deleted my accounts but have rid the apps on my devices for the time now.  Obviously, there is an inherent jealousy that takes place too.  The support to me is completely inauthentic and convenient. Being a "90s" baby myself, I can remember how great interactions were before social media took over, starting with Myspace. It's also toxic for intimate relationships.