ColeMC01

Self esteem and Ego

5 posts in this topic

I have a quick question here. How do you draw the distinction between glorifying  the ego and having healthy self esteem. If ego is the concept of self, the idea of self that we have, will then having healthy high self esteem build the ego? What is the fundamental difference between the ego and self esteem. If i wish to improve my self esteem will i also have a bigger ego as a result or are the two things separate? Thank you.

Self-esteem is just another way of saying self-respect

You will actually have more self-respect the more selfless you become (counter-intuitively), because by becoming less identified with ego you will broaden your sense of worth beyond the confines of the ego

Self-esteem = confidence in one's own worth or abilities; self-respect. (No need to glorify a false identity to achieve this)

Self-esteem != Bragging about your money to everyone.

If you truly had self-esteem, there would be no need for bragging in the first place. This is actually just the ego trying to survive through validation from others, whereas true self-esteem means getting validation from yourself rather than from others. Also, notice how in this situation your entire self-worth depends on validation from others through having money, this is how the ego jeopardizes and limits your self-esteem.

The real disrespect is confining your self-worth to a limited egoic construct

Describe a thought.

Consciousness + ego = self-esteem

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

Your self esteem is not what others think of you.

So if someone walks over you, you let it go, then you seem to have low self esteem in the eye of the other, but you see it's because you understand consciousness, so you don't bother. 

That's when you have a lot of self esteem because you can lose in the eye of the other but you see it's not losing for you.

If you get triggered and need to be right, then you have no root self esteem but it is dependent upon others collective perspective.

Note that over long term, if you let it go and remain self respected, others will see you are. So you win both if you want to, but it's of no desire 

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?

@ColeMC01

Healthy self-esteem involves both the ego and consciousness.

Your ego can be useful if others mistreat or try to take advantage of you. A healthy ego will assert boundaries to prevent you from getting harmed emotionally or physically.  An unhealthy ego (self-esteem) will have roots of insecurity and fear and it will try to put another person down to make itself feel safe. Or it may always have to be on guard because it knows that the moment its facade breaks all the insecurity, shame, fear, and pain will come out.

It's best to release hurts, pains, and fears to truly get a healthy ego. Otherwise, the ego is just a wall that is bound to collapse one day.