Baul

Does Neurolinguistic Programming Work?

7 posts in this topic

Does neurolinguistic programming work? I don't know if I should invest time into studying and doing it. I am simultaneously performing consciousness work (meditation/self-inquiry) as well as exploring other fields of personal development. NLP hasn't been mentioned in Leo's videos at all. I came across a friend who claims it works, but I don't know what to think of it. To those who have had some experience with it, what can you say? Is it worth pursuing?

Edited by Baul

It works. I just wouldn't limit myself to NLP only. And learning it can be a bit technical.

I've never resonated that much with NLP, which is why I don't talk about it much. But I think there's value there. You just gotta mine for it.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I'd never heard of it so I went to the wiki page. Just from the opening summary it sounds like it's basically dismissed as pseudoscience en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuro-linguistic_programming

It works, very well even.

One example regarding my habit to bite my nails:

NLP combined with hypnosis (relaxation), I heard 3 times an mp3 audio and have never again bitten my finger nails ever since that day 3 years ago. After biting nails for 25 years. 

Why did it work? NLP often teaches your subconscious to attach feelings/images to triggers (stimulus). And as I remember in this audio it attached the image of "eating parts of you" with the movement of the finger to the mouth. So moving my finger into the mouth immediately reminds me subconsciously that I am actually about to eat a part of me, which, of course, is gross, hence I stopped doing it.

This really happens subconsciously, I don't notice it, not even this image, only when I think about it, I realise that I didn't bit my nails for several years. I'm not even moving my fingers anymore into my mouth, this habit is just gone from me.

Edited by cloudpusher

I try to come from a neutral place. Im currently studying nlp.

It definetely can work. There has been however very little researches and studies done on nlp and how effective it actually is. the researched i bump´d into has shown very little postive results. the rest of the results very neutral or not commented more.

a respected psychiatric in my country looked into the researches about nlp and he´s conclusions was that nlp can work because there is people who want to do good and help and by that they can help make some positive results. I guess the most famous nlp method user is tony robbins.

nlp is market as a sexy thing to do with a promise of great results, yet there is very little study result thusfar to back it up. I know one nlp teacher who was hardocore nlp guy who stopped teaches it after he got critized with it´s effectiveness etc.

I am going to study this field more and let´s see what i think after that.

all the nlp and psychology etc. goes out of the window when you do mushrooms etc. That´s why i like mushrooms. Thought id commented this after watching leo´s video today.

Do not look for mainstream scientific backing for such methodologies. Science is lagging 100 years behind. It will take a while for them to catch up.

Wikipedia is NOT a reliable resource for verifying the validity of self-help techniques. You're taking the scientific method totally for granted here. Scientific studies are expensive to do. They are rarely done unless there is commercial viability behind it or it's part of the mainstream academic agenda.

A lack of studies does NOT mean you can conclude that the un-studied topic is bunk.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

11 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Do not look for mainstream scientific backing for such methodologies. Science is lagging 100 years behind. It will take a while for them to catch up.

Wikipedia is NOT a reliable resource for verifying the validity of self-help techniques. You're taking the scientific method totally for granted here. Scientific studies are expensive to do. They are rarely done unless there is commercial viability behind it or it's part of the mainstream academic agenda.

A lack of studies does NOT mean you can conclude that the un-studied topic is bunk.

My point was that there are too little research / studies done, so we basically can´t say does nlp work or does it not. I guess we will know in 100 years like you said. And i havent been in wikipedia, no idea what it says about nlp :)

Best way to find out is to test for yourself, what works for one might not work for other