Nash

What is the point of guided meditation?

5 posts in this topic

If the goal of basic meditation is to let go, then how do guided meditations make sense? If you have to actively listen to someones instructions, then how can one truly let go? I understand the usefulness of binaural beats, because it is background noise, but with guided meditations you have to actively listen to someones instructions, making it impossible to let go.

If the point of basic meditation is to have no thought at all, then how does it make sense to listen and interpret something? You have to think about how to integrate the information, which ruins the meditation. Right?

@Nash If you're a Zen master with 40 years of meditation under your belt, then it's possible to have no thoughts at all. Otherwise, it's nearly impossible and that's not even the point of meditation. Meditation is being as present and self-aware as possible and basically allowing everything to arise without attachments.

1 hour ago, Nash said:

If the goal of basic meditation is to let go, then how do guided meditations make sense? If you have to actively listen to someones instructions, then how can one truly let go? I understand the usefulness of binaural beats, because it is background noise, but with guided meditations you have to actively listen to someones instructions, making it impossible to let go.

A few years ago, I went white water rafting in Alaska. Before we started, the rafting guide told us that he will be giving us instructions during the trip. He told us he is an expert and to simply follow the instructions without analyzing them. This would help us let go and get into the zone of white water rafting. . . Sure enough, he was right. His words of guidance such as “Left back!!,” allowed me to let go and fully immerse myself into what was happening Now.