Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cirkussmile

Salary Negotiations

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have worked a long time for my boss and now I wanna help him out. I know there are so many things that I can improve and I have already started. My plan is to work more with that than my regular duties. Right now I keep my salary the same but I'm a bit confused over what I can ask for in return in the future. My first goal was to work more with the things I like but as a result of I'm doing more than and I "should", should I ask for a higher salary? I want to have a good amount of money some day and do the things I love and I'm in the process of getting there. I have no experience with this kind of tasks yet so I just go with the flow.

Money comes natural if you just have patience or is it a time when you should set a price on the things you do?

What is your work worth? How much money do you need to live? Is your boss your friend?

I only have experience with salary negotiations for gigs as opposed to your regular job. I would still advise you to not let yourself be exploited, even if you have been working with your boss for a long time.

Anyway, don't beat around the bush, make up your mind. Respect yourself and your values and others will too ;)

On 17-7-2016 at 7:15 PM, cirkussmile said:

I want to have a good amount of money some day and do the things I love and I'm in the process of getting there. I have no experience with this kind of tasks yet so I just go with the flow.

Money comes natural if you just have patience or is it a time when you should set a price on the things you do?

I think you should be really critical for yourself here. What exactly do you mean "go with the flow". You mention a lack of experience, well everything that one has ever accomplisched (internal or external), started with a lack of experience (otherwise we schouldn't call it an accomplischment but "something he is born with").

You ask wheter comes natural, I would say it probably does when you know yourself really well so that you can contribute to society in your way, but I don't think your boss is going to random give you 1M cheque..

How well do you know yourself, for myself for example I think this something huge I have to work on.

It never hurts to ask for a raise, if you do it in a respectful way and justify it properly. The worst that will happen is a NO!

And even if you get a NO! You'll have grown from the experience because it is scary. You want to build up negotiating experience no matter way. It's priceless.

Don't expect people in business to give you money unless you ask for it. But when you do ask, make sure you offer them something too. Tell them you're willing to take on more responsibility and do more valuable work. Show them that you will help them earn more money, and then getting a raise will be easy.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

"I bargained with life for a penny and life would pay no more,however I begged at evening when I counted my scanty store, for life is a just employer, it gives what you ask, but once you have set the wages, why you must bear the task. I worked for a menials hire only to learn dismayed, that any wage I would've asked of life, life would've willingly paid"

@cirkussmile

The secret is you need to be generating 3x your salary as gross profit for the company. 

If you can justify it you will get the goodies. 

A good employer will pay out rather than loose you.

If you are generating that amount of business and more, if your employer won't budge then leave because the company is a cowboy outfit.

Always work for people who will look after you as an asset.

If you need advice then pm me

Edited by Mal

Thank you for your replies! 

I'm still in progress and in a few weeks I'm ready to deliver my and all the employees opinions to my boss. I've talked to the most of the employees and all sharing the same experience. My boss is second generation in the company and what I can see is that he lacks passion and motivation... That can be either good or bad in my point if view. If he continues with this irresponsibility he will loose everything. Does he care? I think so but he has no clue what to do about it except denying it. 

My plan is to bring the madness to light and inform him how the staff actually feels about their situation. And I'm gonna offer him ways to improve the quality and that I'm willing to work for that. I not afraid to fail and  I can't just watch the company throw away the possibilities. 

If this succeed it's great! If not then I have to leave. After all.. it's not my company and if he's not willing to give me a chance there's not much I can do. And that's were the challenge starts... How do you find a employer that is at least as passionate as I am about improving things?

@cirkussmile That sounds like something that might get you fired more than leading to a raise.

A boss does not want to know all his mistakes. He wants YOU to create more value for the company. And he's not likely to view criticism of him as you adding more value to the company. Because he's of course going to get defensive.

Focus on being a creator rather than a critic. If you're going to play the critic, you are best off working for yourself. Because if you supposedly know how to do everything right, then you should have no problem starting your own company and running the show. In which case, you no longer need this job.

Don't forget that it's very easy to criticize. What's difficult is making shit happen.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

That crossed my mind once. Either this works or I get fired, lol. 

It's easy to criticize and there's no limit for how many things that could be better once you start looking for them. But I'm not trying to do that because there's no point in complaining if you don't do anything. I am really concerned about his health and the staffs situation. I'm a key person in the company and I can do so many different things that is needed. But I'm not in for just doing meaningless things I want to work to make the workplace a good place to be. After all, most people spend most of their lives on the job and I want them to like coming to work. Many go to work and feel miserable because no one listenes for what they need and how they feel. People are home sick way to often than they should and in many cases their not really "sick" they're just exhausted. 

The staff tells me things they don't dare tell my boss. 

For my self I can handle it and I always tell people that they doing a great work. 

In this case I need more of his support for making the changes and for me that means work hours. It takes time to change things but if you don't put time into it, it will never happen. I want to help him with that because he's not doing it.

As some of you said I might be in a strange situation but I must do something at least. I can no longer just sit and watch what happens. Either this, or look for a new job but I'm choosing this because of my experience in the company and I feel that my boss respects me a lot. 

As I said I'm new to this but this will at least give me more experience. Things are happening and this is much more fun than doing nothing :)