Sine

Thoughts about "One rule for Acing Life"

6 posts in this topic

I have just seen Leos video "One Rule for Acing Life" and found it very inspirational. Since I am already a very conscientious person and have been like that for my whole life, the thought of always doing what is the most emotionally uncomfortable as a way to success is not new to me. However, it was nice to be reminded of the concept and since I watched the video I have practiced asking myself the question "What is most emotionally uncomfortable right now" which has raised my awareness in daily life.

The thing is that I (maybe because I sometimes can be too conscientious) have difficulties relaxing. I try to meditate for at least 1 hour every day and I also have a running practice - both things that in some ways relax my mind and body. But the feeling when I do these things is not at all the same kind of relaxation I get when I, for example, watch a stupid sitcom on Netflix or read a fantasy novel for that sake.

I live alone and is often very tired in the evening. This time a day is often where I get the gift of very intensified gross emotions and the possibility of working through them to maybe heal some kind of childhood/previous life/energy or what-do-I-know trauma.

Unfortunately, my routine up until now has been to label the emotions as negative (loneliness, sorrow, sickness) and escaping them through Netflix while I eat dinner.

Since I watched Leos video I have changed this routine and now sit in silence in my window eating my food. I have also during the day tried to find ways to relax without choosing the most emotionally comfortable path. So for example I have just been lying on the floor with my dog when I needed relaxation and going really really early to bed.

But I don’t have the energy do deal with the emotions all the time, and especially not in the evening. (I am very much a morning person) And the only way I can “escape” and “really relax” seems to be from doing "things that are emotionally comfortable"

Is it possible to live life without ever doing what is emotionally comfortable?

I am interested in your thoughts about this and maybe hearing how you guys relax? – And if some of you live fully by “always do what is most emotionally uncomfortable”

I know a friend of mine, who I consider to be very awakened, plays computer games occasionally and watches Netflix - which, I suppose, for him would be emotionally comfortably choices, so I guess it is possible to be actualized/enlightened and still take the emotionally easy way sometimes?

All the love,

Sine

Edited by Sine

@Sine

Yeah I think that “One rule for acing life” video is probably one of Leo’s best, real simple concept but really instantly applicable

I occasionally go back to it for motivation 

2 hours ago, Sine said:

You have to have some emotional comfort, otherwise you’ll just wear yourself out, the point is to incrementally work towards needing less and less as you grow stronger and stronger through your routine 

"Through self discipline comes freedom" - Aristotle

This post reminded me of this post a few days ago

Everyday is a day of personal development, and really every second, if youre not moving forward your sliding backwards 

Every moment of everyday should be personal development

Taking time for emotional comfort is just a necessary step on the way to improving yourself and “acing” life

Edited by IJB063

14 hours ago, Sine said:

I have just seen Leos video "One Rule for Acing Life" and found it very inspirational. Since I am already a very conscientious person and have been like that for my whole life, the thought of always doing what is the most emotionally uncomfortable as a way to success is not new to me. However, it was nice to be reminded of the concept and since I watched the video I have practiced asking myself the question "What is most emotionally uncomfortable right now" which has raised my awareness in daily life.

The thing is that I (maybe because I sometimes can be too conscientious) have difficulties relaxing. I try to meditate for at least 1 hour every day and I also have a running practice - both things that in some ways relax my mind and body. But the feeling when I do these things is not at all the same kind of relaxation I get when I, for example, watch a stupid sitcom on Netflix or read a fantasy novel for that sake.

I live alone and is often very tired in the evening. This time a day is often where I get the gift of very intensified gross emotions and the possibility of working through them to maybe heal some kind of childhood/previous life/energy or what-do-I-know trauma.

Unfortunately, my routine up until now has been to label the emotions as negative (loneliness, sorrow, sickness) and escaping them through Netflix while I eat dinner.

Since I watched Leos video I have changed this routine and now sit in silence in my window eating my food. I have also during the day tried to find ways to relax without choosing the most emotionally comfortable path. So for example I have just been lying on the floor with my dog when I needed relaxation and going really really early to bed.

But I don’t have the energy do deal with the emotions all the time, and especially not in the evening. (I am very much a morning person) And the only way I can “escape” and “really relax” seems to be from doing "things that are emotionally comfortable"

I am interested in your thoughts about this and maybe hearing how you guys relax? – And if some of you live fully by “always do what is most emotionally uncomfortable”

I know a friend of mine, who I consider to be very awakened, plays computer games occasionally and watches Netflix - which, I suppose, for him would be emotionally comfortably choices, so I guess it is possible to be actualized/enlightened and still take the emotionally easy way sometimes?

All the love,

Sine

for some ppl, work-alcoholics and so on, for them doing something most ppl wouid find comfortable (such as ordering a pizza and watching a good movie a friday evening) may be the most uncomfortable thing for them to do, emotionally, cos they are addicted to work. 

So think more deeply about this issue, and realize that you should just always do what is most emotionally uncomfortable for YOU. You you you. There is no book in the universe that lists out what is comfortable and unconfomfortable to do.

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.

@Sine You must balance the advice in that video with self-love.

Don't treat yourself like a rented mule. Relaxation is important.

Paradoxically, the most difficult thing is Self-Love.

And it's also the easiest! ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Sine somehow you ask about practical aspects of how to spend your time - what is emotional comfort? its rather not about relaxation but regeneration, if you love yourself you can change running into a relaxation program because it has regenerational qualities. but even then you will have phases where your body needs to rest/relax from that, via sleeping for example. in that sense you can always of course go the way of the greatest convenience/comfort - but most of the time that’s egoic craving without any outcome if done for fast emotional reply alone, this is where all things addictive play a roll. having time to sort yourself out would be the natural way of relaxation, how it has been done in a time before tv/video games - if you want to get more serious about it you could start journaling on paper, but rolling/lying around on the floor staring holes in the sky is also fun and relaxing. self-love/self-care is different from taking the path of the least resistance, but once you have installed different habits, they way of going them is a regenerational one. if you do unhealthy stuff from time to time it won’t destroy the healthy foundation you have built up to - contemplate rule vs exception.

Edited by remember

Thank you <3 I guess the rule of acing life is simply a starting point that you can work with, but in the end, the most emotional uncomfortable choice merges with the most emotional comfortable choice, because you love yourself so much that you always find comfort in doing what is truly the wisest thing to do. This was good to think about for me, and I will contemplate self-love even more. Thanks for the help. I love you