Nash

Thoughts On Recycling?

5 posts in this topic

Hello, I would like peoples thoughts on recycling. I have been having some anxiety lately, as I realize most things can be recyclable but aren't because of our recycling system. For example, https://www.terracycle.com/en-US/brigades lists numerous things that can be recycled if extensive effort is put in. However, typical neighborhood recycling programs will not accept these materials. Does our recycling system need reform? How can I stop feeling guilty?

By letting go 

Not everything is in our control. 

This realization comes sooner or later. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Our current system is completely fucked and as a society we're destroying our environment, but you as an individual don't have to participate. The most important thing is to be preventative as possible not producing the waste in the first place, that's the best thing to help get rid of the guilt,. Don't purchase items with stupid excess packaging, just buy another product. That's the best thing to help get rid of the guilt, not having the impact in the first place. Bring reusable cloth bags to the grocery store! Bring a coffee mug to Starbucks! Refill a water bottle at a tap! My system is as follows;

- 2 Compost bins. When one gets full I put it outside for the animals and insects. I dump it in the woods or ditch when the 2nd gets full. It's all biodegradable and helps the soil.

- I burn all paper and cardboard at nights in the campfire when there is a lot.

- Hard plastics & metal get recycled by the city. Though I clean and keep containers for leftovers and freezing food.

hrhrhtewgfegege

I believe recycling is a myth. It just exists to make us feel better. The vast majority gets thrown out, and the fraction that does get re-used is a wash (or worse) when you consider the amount of energy that goes into the entire process. As @Roy alluded to, the source of the problem is our over-consumptive behavior, as well as our severance from spirit. We don't really feel a connection to everything that is, including nature. Most of our motivation to "go green" comes from guilt, which is not the kind of energy we need to embrace if we truly want to turn this thing around.  

Thank you everyone, each post is very insightful.