Godhead

How do I become a Godlike writer?

36 posts in this topic

@Godhead I think old Schopenhauer once said something along the lines of "If the afterlife were such a bad place to be, why would it have to be guarded by such a terrifying sentinel (aka the grim reaper)? Whoever said it, I always somehow liked that line. Better look that quote up though before you use it for you book, lol.

AC/DC took it one step further when they stated that "Hell aint a bad place to be". That's wisdom for the ages for ya. ;)

Hi, I also want to be godlike writer but in philosophy domain.

My advice to you would be read, read and read.

By reading a lot about ego, you will get your own insights which can be used in your book.

Hope this helps.

Make time every day to practice your writing in some way and make sure to actually write as well. Taking time to learn and practice the concepts you want to write about. Also, building up a good schedule that involves practice of it every day. You have to make a habit of it and be consistent to get really good at it. Also, find others that would be willing to check your work and make suggestions. Get a good variety of opinions. Now don't get too caught up in it being perfect, but note and document what people suggests, so you can improve gradually. I know for myself I don't always see even the obvious that could be changed. 

Don't focus on becoming a more "academic" writer. 

Writing in general is shifting toward a much more casual, conversational style. Write the same way that you would talk if you were explaining something to a friend.

There is a place for super airy poetic language if you're trying to win a Pullitzer Prize or have your book dissected in university literature classes. If your goal is to convey a message, using big complicated words will just frustrate, confuse, and bore readers.

Focus on learning to write for the web from people like Neil Patel and then write that way. Keep paragraphs to just 2-3 sentences in length.

Use tools like Grammarly or http://www.hemingwayapp.com/ to clean your writing up and make it more readable, and less passive.

@Godhead Let me hasten to point out that you should find a way to 'suck in' the reader. Cavort with words, create an inseparable space between the text and the reader. Write as if one day you were to experience reading from their point of view. ;)

Edited by SirVladimir

@herghly I've given some more tips just yesterday in this reply:

Courses are not worth it to my understanding. But don't mind me; that's just a personal bias. I had had the courtesy of diving into writing for a 1000 hours before my serious life purpose work even began. Most of my epiphanies came through pure trial and error. When I switched to English just a few months ago, sure, the grammatical nuances are a dragon to be slayed, but most of my 'meta knowledge' about writing has smuggled through.

14 minutes ago, herghly said:

@SirVladimir Do you write every day? 

Yes. 2-4 hours. 

14 minutes ago, herghly said:

What other tips, books, courses do you have?

Go through the reply above and pay extra attention to the shamanic breathing paragraph. That's an advice worth a thousand courses. ;) 

Edited by SirVladimir

20 hours ago, Yarco said:

So cool, thanks for this!

6 hours ago, SirVladimir said:

Yes. 2-4 hours. 

How do you write for 4 hours? Do you have a schedule? At what times (morning, night, eg.) do you write?

16 minutes ago, Godhead said:

How do you write for 4 hours? Do you have a schedule? At what times (morning, night, eg.) do you write?

Feels like 5 minutes when I 'catch the wind.' 2-3 hours are more probable, though. 

Mostly afternoons/nights after school.

No schedule. If Discipline married Schedule, I would certainly NOT be their child. 

Edited by SirVladimir

Writing classes can be really useful. 

one day this will all be memories

On 5/27/2020 at 10:41 AM, Godhead said:

1. Being able to follow one train of thought with clarity - I often tend to just try to put everything I know into a chapter and it ends up being really chaotic

2. I want to be more poetic - I can't stand "autistic" books trying to link everything to science, even though science is important I'd like to package it well.

Hallo Bruder, hoffe alles ist gut mit dier! 

I am on a very similar path. For some years I’ve been working on a book series about the Chakras, trying to build a way to expose the characteristics and traits that each carries, and how reality is perceived and experienced depending on the level you are at. What is now a 7 part series started as 1 book which reminded me of your problem #1.

I discovered that working on a really detailed Outline can make the whole process so much smoother. You could make a list of all the topics and experiences you want to share, then begin to organize and structure it so each chapter is planned out and can carry a certain theme and lesson that will be understood in a few paragraphs. It will also bring satisfaction to the reader, knowing that each chapter is its own story. That’s why I love all of Robert Greene’s work.

And follow the 7 story structure to create conflict and resolutions to keep attention and excitement.

The best improvement I’ve made is to surrender the desire to achieve. My writing has become more expressive and creative  since I’ve accepted that I will die without anyone ever reading or appreciating my work. It kills the pressure of trying to conform to the standard that I think the audience would be satisfied with. Now I write for myself, to entertain myself, but also to grow and improve life in every aspect. I believe that thoughts alone can shape and change reality. So just pondering about something will open new perspectives in the space that all spirits feed from. The Muse you expose will speak to another being. This way, no one is above any one, and the path that leads to all leads to one. This Forum is shaping the Future. 

Writing helps to simplify those amazing experiences into sentences that you as the creator can speak out into the world and enlighten beings in all ways.

What Point of View are you writing from? Fiction or Non-Fiction? 
Do you have characters? 

“Write drunk, edit sober” 

- Ernest Hemingway

Is all that we see or seem

But a dream within a dream?

- Edgar Allen Poe 

Great advice, thank you! 

12 hours ago, Chakra Lion said:

The best improvement I’ve made is to surrender the desire to achieve.

I'm definitely going to implement that.

12 hours ago, Chakra Lion said:

That’s why I love all of Robert Greene’s work

He used to be my favorite author, love how he uses historical events to explain his concepts. It's like you are learning two things at once!

I'm writing non-fiction, about the ego, self, and everything connected to it. I don't use actual "characters" but I use conversations between two imagined people. It ends up looking something like:

A: what if X

B: maybe Y is true

I've been thinking about implementing the same 2 fixed characters to have a discussion, idk about that yet though.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you balance research and writing? What percentage of "writing"(=meaning the process of writing a book) do you actually spend writing?

14 hours ago, Godhead said:

If you don't mind me asking, how do you balance research and writing? What percentage of "writing"(=meaning the process of writing a book) do you actually spend writing?

I research every day, observing and witnessing life in and around me. But I had to let go of looking into certain things since they diluted and confused me, like chakra charts, and what other people thought they do and mean. It was good to build a foundation, but most only repeat what they see online, giving basic information without unraveling the deeper aspects and meanings. 

Lately I’ve been writing in my head, building the story and contemplating the scenes and settings. This process has been as helpful as actual writing. Since I already have the story down I am able to fine tune and remove or add whatever I need to create something amazing. 

I just don’t have the time right now to sit down and write because when I do, I go on binges and do nothing but write for a few months, morning to night. I do however write on here, write poetry, and catch inspiration meanwhile.

I like the way Ishmael Is written, kinda like a fiction mixed with non fiction. The problem I found with trying to write and teach at the same time is that you have to present it as if one side is ultimately better than the other, and that is going to be extra hard when your writing about the ego. If you have characters you can put them each at different levels of awareness, showing the good and bad of each stage, like someone who might seem more developed might think they broke their ego but are actually suffering from Ego backlash. But I’m sure you’ll make it perfect. 

Is all that we see or seem

But a dream within a dream?

- Edgar Allen Poe 

I think for a start it is worth improving your grammar and learning all the required rules.

On 23.10.2020 at 8:16 PM, mullerbar said:

I think for a start it is worth improving your grammar and learning all the required rules.

I want to supplement my answer, and say that this is easy enough, there are many sites where you can improve your literacy. For example, when I needed a hint on how to correct etc or ect, I used a site that helped me in this matter.

Edited by mullerbar

Don't focus on becoming a godlike writer. 

Just pretend you are already a godlike writer and start writing the book you want to write on the topic you are passionate about.

The mind is like a heat seeking device. You give it a target and it will do everything in it's power to hit it.

You should try to make a life changing best-seller book right NOW because that is your goal right?

So just start writing that book right now with the bar set high and you will run into many obstacles along the way that will force you to get better. You will also see ways that you want to change your writing to fit your audience accordingly.

It's like a karate student who needs to win a tournament thinking: "all my opponents are black belts so in order to measure up to them I need to become a black belt!"

This is obviously not going to work as well as the karate student who thinks: "I need to defeat these opponents whatever that means."

The former student may get a title of 'black belt' similar to a title/ concept like 'godlike writer' but the belt isn't actually what makes a black belt impressive. A black belt is only impressive by his ability to defeat opponents.

Thus the latter student who ignored the titles who focused only on how to win vs his opponents likely developed better suited skills and many more strategies to win that match instead of following some rigid curriculum he used to get a different colored belt.