WhatAWondefulWorld

What is insanity?

7 posts in this topic

Insanity is completely relative, right? 

Sometimes I see my life as one of Gods infinitely many psychotic episodes.

Insanity, schizophrenia, love, human, animal vs... God is experiencing all to infinite. 

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

I would describe it as a sense of being trapped between two states.

@WhatAWondefulWorld

Insanity is the absence of a complex of relevant thoughts when needed, i.e. a failure of the mind to operate properly and seamlessly inside its environment. Relevant thoughts are the only reason that makes one "sane". The relevance is attributed to the status quo/environment, which is relative, of course.

From the pov of an insane person, their insanity cannot be identified because there are no proper thoughts to identify it. But they might think others are insane because of some thoughts arising about others not matching the internal environment of the insane person. Sanity is simply consensus and the ability to exchange information and interact with others and environment.

Who's insane and who's not? Like you said, it's all relative.

However, I believe there is one form of insanity that is final and absolute. It is when a person completely loses their mind forever. But instead of perceiving that person from the outside, you would have to be that person experientially. The person disappears forever, and the body remains for some more time. It's a complete death of the ego with no going back. That, I would consider true insanity.

Edited by The observer

Insanity is when you fail to meet certain cultural expectations of functionality.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.