Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Javfly33

Is it healthy to have a high amount of brightness at home?

6 posts in this topic

I live a in flat that has a LOT of luminosity if you pull up the blinds of the windows. 

My roommate loves to have the blinds up because he loves so much light in the home, but I actually find it stressing . Particularly in the mornings and until 19:00-20:00PM, I like to be at home with blinds down, and low brightness. I feel that when there's so much brightness coming from outside it stresses my limbic system and doesn't let me relax and disconnect of the outside world. Idk, it feels the body truly needs a time when it can disconnect of the outside world, and in my opinion that is when you are at home.

At night I don't mind to have the windows open btw, since there's no brightness at that time also lol

I wanted to ask this to see if this is a real thing or it is just an OCD I have about lightness (or it's just my retina is very sensitive to light)

Edited by Javfly33

Truth is neither a destination nor a conclusion. Truth is a living experience.

It's probably fine, most evidence that I've read suggests that exposing yourself to more light during the day (and less at night) reduces depression symptoms, can help with wakefulness during the day, and helps you get better sleep at night.

The outside light should be okay for you. The problem is with your retina. 

Or you are not used to it because of always living that way with blinds closed. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Blue light and outside light will keep you up. If you want to sleep in, avoid light from outside. If you want to naturally fix your schedule or make it easier for yourself to wake up, leave the blinds open.

Edited by Osaid

Describe a thought.

The outside light is actually very important. The retina once exposed to daylight send a message further down to hypothalamus to trigger cortisol release and that keeps you awake. Daylight exposure also stops your melatonin production, it makes you more awake and more productive. Early day daylight exposure is essential for regulation circadian rhythm, sleep and mood. 

But some people are sensitive to light indeed so that needs to be accounted for. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I dunno about daylight, but you need to worry about night light, too. Install some blue light filter programs on your screens to minimize blue light exposure at night.