capriciousduck

Job Dilemma

3 posts in this topic

Why is it those people who do something only when the situation demands are more successful? My own brother(studies civil engineering) have no much computer skills got a job as software engineer in Singapore. He doesn't have basic Linux skills. And ever since he came home I have said to learn other programming languages as he will need them once he starts his job. He keeps on watching Movies all day.  

And few of my undergrad friends also have no basic computer or coding skills. But they got CS jobs. It is not that I didn't get a job but I had health issues and was not able to appear for any interview. Like I said they learn only when situation demands, not because they are interested to learn.

I've been having this doubt and I need to clarify this. Maybe I am wrong in some way. So I just want other perspectives.

There is nothing wrong with you.

The software development industry (I can only speak for the UK) is full of people that are not competent programmers or systems developers. I've seen this over and over in nearly 25 years of being in the industry. There are several reasons this happens.

The trouble starts with hiring. Job adverts are full of buzzwords for the latest programming languages, frameworks and trendy techniques. Generally, there will be very few candidates that match all the criteria. Instead they are just designed to be honeypots in order to lure prospective candidates. On the whole you will be hired if you fit some of the criteria.

Secondly the interview process is inadequate to ascertain with any degree of certainty if you have the required level of skill. Most interviews are informal chats designed to see if you'll "fit in" to the culture of the company (i.e. Team Worker, Go the Extra Mile, happy to be fed pizza and coffee with no extra remuneration for hours worked, blah, blah, blah). The interviewer is hardly ever an actual developer.

Lastly, if an incompetent programmer is hired they tend to be carried by the only one or two highly skilled programmers who have been working there forever. In other words the incompetent programmer wastes time and resources, but the good programmers are so good that managers don't notice the deficiencies.

And further, the pay can be lucrative so incompetent programmers are tempted to try their luck gaming the system. And from experience, they know they can get away with it.

I can only say, that if you are a competent programmer and can prove it, then you will eventually be well rewarded for your efforts.

Stick with it. Don't despair my friend.

Edited by LastThursday

57% paranoid