Raptorsin7

What is Enlightenment

19 posts in this topic

What is a clear definition of enlightenment?

If someone can provide a definition that maps onto direct experience that would be ideal. I understand words are limited, but i'm curious how people define the concept?

How does one know if they are enlightened?

@The observer How do you distinguish awakening from enlightenment then?

Like i've had an awakening where i realized i'm god, and i felt just insights being downloaded to me, with bliss coursing through me. But i still felt like a person, and i wouldn't consider that my death but i'm not sure.

Is the death of death ego death? If so, what IS ego death?

ego is the structure that runs ur mind including all ur ideas about enlightenment. so as long as this enlightenment thing makes the slightest sense to u ur not enlightened. enlightenment is when u let go of enlightenment but thats not some thing u can do or strive towards it will happen when it happens and words cant communicate it or how it occurs 

there is no such thing as enlightenment, yet you must enlighten to see that.

Edited by electroBeam

20 minutes ago, electroBeam said:

there is no such thing as enlightenment, yet you must enlighten to see that.

and u must first unenlighten to not see that

@Raptorsin7 You just know. 

It is a Knowing and an Understanding. 

The direct path is to both know and understand that "I" is a concept. 

You still inhabit the mind and body but you no longer identify with the mind and body - you are set free.

(to quote Spira and Shinzen) 

Edited by Surfingthewave

The realization of the truth of your own being, the truth of reality and the 'permanent' recognition of your own being. 

Then comes the embodiment of this understanding in all areas of life and abidance as The Self. 

Sounds to be like you had an awakening experience and it lasted a little while, but, often, one awakening isn't going to take you 'all the way,' also it seems like you're after some sort of a blissful state or 'high' that lasts forever, that isn't awakening. 

True awakening is the acceptance of whatever arises in the here and now, without any resistance whatsoever, whether it's the 'best' or 'worst' thing ever, hence the absolute peace and happiness that comes with true awakening, as you are in the natural state and flowing with life. 

It is not a permanent blissy high.  

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

Enlightenment is the awakening of all awakenings. An awakening that reveals the nature of awakening itself. 

There is much more to God/Self/❤️ then just simplistic "is jist acceptance of here and now" yeah it is but there is more.

Never underestimate God. 

My 67 cents. 

1 hour ago, Raptorsin7 said:

. But i still felt like a person, and i wouldn't consider that my death but i'm not sure.

That isn't an awakening, you just labelled it as that. That is a glimpse.

Open your mind to something that is beyond mind and words and even conceptual ideas. ( I'm not enlightened but this kind of thinking is getting me closer )

“The psychotic drowns in the same waters in which the mystic swims with delight.”

4 hours ago, Raptorsin7 said:

There isn't one. That's like a child explaining what it's like being an adult. Or for some, like an adult explaining to a child what it's like to be an adult.

57% paranoid

A meaningless word appearing 

Edited by traveler

Enlightenment = no fear = no ego = seeing reality exactly as it is

Describe a thought.

This definition is from a website that I follow and happen to agree with...

In the context of Liberation Unleashed, liberation refers to the clear, unambiguous and direct realisation of the absence of a separate self. Because not everyone, perhaps no one comes to the Gate without at least some degree of latent tendencies, what we refer to as liberation may not be what you expect of it. Seeing self for what it really is - a story, does not mean that your life is suddenly upgraded in every conceivable way. Old habits, beliefs, programming and conditioning will very probably remain in place. Awakening from the story of you allows old patterns to drop away quickly. The foundation upon which these patterns were based is gone. In this sense, liberation is just the beginning.

Edited by VeganAwake

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

Infinite Intelligence meets Stupid Love 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

13 hours ago, Raptorsin7 said:

I would be mindful of the mind’s tendency to create concrete, stable grounding. This can have practical value, yet it is also at a surface level. We could create countless constructs of enlightenment. That wouldn’t give much practical grounding tho. Yet the flip side is that grounding creates assumptions and is very limiting. I see many seekers create a “thing” called “enlightenment” that they pursue. . . A deeper understanding is aware of context and relativity. 

13 hours ago, Raptorsin7 said:

How does one know if they are enlightened?

It depends on your definition of enlightenment. This is the circular nature of all thought constructs.

Ime, 5-Meo gives the best direct experience of “*”. However, the trick is that the mind will later want to contextualize “*” as an “experience” or a “thing” called stuff like “enlightenment”. This has practical value as we communicate and relate to each other. Yet no contextualization can capture the totality of “*”.