Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Forrest Adkins

Reading to many Books on Spirituality?

6 posts in this topic

A question for people who dive into lots of books and traditions like Yoga,Buddhism,Channeling and hundreds of practices etc.

Do you feel like too much information is confusing you and filling your head with opposing concepts, or do you feel like its all energizing into bigger picture in way?

So basically is reading too much spiritual literature good or bad.

Edited by Forrest Adkins

@Forrest Adkins Ultimately it's a distraction from doing real work. All this "external information" is the best way to give away one's authority. But you also have to build a foundation, so it's a balance between the two. Read the top books in the spirituality section on Leo's booklist and you'll be set. But the key is to not take the information in them as a given fact, because most of them are not 100% correct or fall short of total awakening. Not knowing is one of the most powerful things you can develop.   

@Forrest Adkins I’d say it depends on one’s orientation. If I am traveling through South America and want to explore and learn broadly as much as possible, then I would visit many different cities, rural areas, various people, cuisines, cultural events etc. If I wanted to explore deeply, I may stay the whole time in on South American village for months and get to know them deeply. . . , Yet if my orientation is to answer the question “What is South America?”, it would be silly for me to seek a thing within South America, since it’s all South American! 

If you want to have a nice distracting path with plenty of obstacles...feel free to read book after book is what I say. Although, it would probably be better to literally forget absolutely everything about everything and tell me what you are

It depends on your attitude in which you read the books. If you read each book and take its concepts as the ultimate truth then there will be confusion. Just see the books for what they are, don't attach too much authority to them. Essentially they are all pointing to the same thing.