Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Flicker_boy

Interpreting Cool Experience During Vipassana Retreat

6 posts in this topic

During a SN Goenka vipassana retreat last week I experienced something very new for me. I was lost in unconscioussness, sleepyness and completely insane thoughs during a morning meditation. Suddenly a though popped and there was no reaction to it. As it dropped back to nothing I 'latched on' to it and dropped with it. At first nothingness seemed really far away but then just miliseconds after it was right at my face. Then for what seemed like 3 seconds my experience resumed itself to whiteness, silence, discrete joy and immense peace. No body, no world. Then body came back, and with it extreme contraction back into it. This left me excited and puzzled, very much. I wanted some feedback on this. How can I interpret this? Can I hold myself in that space for longer? Can I recicle this event for more growth? Thank you for your time

Edited by Lorenzo Engel

"I gently pushed my hand into my pocket and pulled the last one out, it trembled at first and clung to my hand. "Go on, it will be ok," I whispered. Encouraged, it flexed its wings and I knew the time was right. It flew up towards the blue, blue sky and I looked proudly as it's made its way to freedom. The last of my fucks was finally given."

@Lorenzo Engel I can relate to that experience. It may be that the mind transcends all thought. Mind comes to a dead stop and only awareness remains. You can actually watch a thought coming out of nothingness and arising into consciousness like a bubble. It is a very blissful state of mind being at rest. Sometimes it is referred to as the state of Samadhi.

35 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

@Lorenzo Engel I can relate to that experience. It may be that the mind transcends all thought. Mind comes to a dead stop and only awareness remains. You can actually watch a thought coming out of nothingness and arising into consciousness like a bubble. It is a very blissful state of mind being at rest. Sometimes it is referred to as the state of Samadhi.

Just to add a note: It will be natural to want to duplicate that experience again. If you try, it won't happen and it can become frustrating. May I suggest to let it go completely. If it happens again, it happens of it's own doing. Take that approach. *That state can be transcended also. "If" you reach it again, allow it to dissolve you. Fall into it. You will completely vanish.  

This is cool ! You can probably relate this to your experience.

Edited by cetus56

1 hour ago, cetus56 said:

Just to add a note: It will be natural to want to duplicate that experience again. If you try, it won't happen and it can become frustrating. May I suggest to let it go completely. If it happens again, it happens of it's own doing. Take that approach. *That state can be transcended also. "If" you reach it again, allow it to dissolve you. Fall into it. You will completely vanish.  

thanks for the directions, i'll keep them close to heart

"I gently pushed my hand into my pocket and pulled the last one out, it trembled at first and clung to my hand. "Go on, it will be ok," I whispered. Encouraged, it flexed its wings and I knew the time was right. It flew up towards the blue, blue sky and I looked proudly as it's made its way to freedom. The last of my fucks was finally given."