octsober

Addiction Confusion

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, 

Recently i've been dealing with two addictions that i've been trying to accept. Nothing drug related, more habitual. 

I've watched leo's two last videos in regards to how to stop practically any addiction, however after watching leo's latest video (awareness alone is curative), i'm a bit in the dark. 

From what I gather from his last video he saying that by just doing the thing that bothers you and being aware will eventually correct itself if you're practicing awareness in the process. 

To me personally, I feel If I attempted this, i'll be back where I started. 

Any and all feedback is appreciated ! 

Yes, do it a few more times. You will anyway. Only this time, you won't feel the "good" or "bad" anymore. See the reality. My guess is reality is big fat and ugly. The good isn't worth the bad and the bad isn't worth the good anymore. You won't act on impulse because short term highs won't appeal to you any longer. Basically this all is just trying to get you to step out of your self constructed trap long enough to see what's going on around you. Realizing this perspective, your precious addiction falls face first.

Lose the belief of being back where you started, this is completely redundant in regard to growth. 

1 hour ago, octsober said:

Hello everyone, 

Recently i've been dealing with two addictions that i've been trying to accept. Nothing drug related, more habitual. 

I've watched leo's two last videos in regards to how to stop practically any addiction, however after watching leo's latest video (awareness alone is curative), i'm a bit in the dark. 

From what I gather from his last video he saying that by just doing the thing that bothers you and being aware will eventually correct itself if you're practicing awareness in the process. 

To me personally, I feel If I attempted this, i'll be back where I started. 

Any and all feedback is appreciated ! 

I'd be careful not to use Leo's newest video advice not to backslide. If you feel like you've been making sufficient progress, continue onward without sabotaging your progress. But if your willpower doesn't work, allow yourself to become aware as you backslide. 

Are you struggling with self-sabotage and CONSTANTLY standing in the way of your own success? 

If so, and if you're looking for an experienced coach to help you discover and resolve the root of the issue, you can click this link to schedule a free discovery call with me to see if my program is a good fit for you.

3 hours ago, Corte said:

Yes, do it a few more times. You will anyway. Only this time, you won't feel the "good" or "bad" anymore. See the reality. My guess is reality is big fat and ugly. The good isn't worth the bad and the bad isn't worth the good anymore. You won't act on impulse because short term highs won't appeal to you any longer. Basically this all is just trying to get you to step out of your self constructed trap long enough to see what's going on around you. Realizing this perspective, your precious addiction falls face first.

Lose the belief of being back where you started, this is completely redundant in regard to growth. 

At first, I was 99% sure nothing would change when I jumped right back in, but to be completely honest, It was pretty much a 'What am I doing?' moment that I had experienced.

I forgot to mention that I've been meditating for just about 8 months now, Every day, for 20 minutes. I feel this helped open up my perspective on awareness a bit. 

I think this is progress? Not overly sure just yet. 

3 hours ago, Emerald Wilkins said:

I'd be careful not to use Leo's newest video advice not to backslide. If you feel like you've been making sufficient progress, continue onward without sabotaging your progress. But if your willpower doesn't work, allow yourself to become aware as you backslide. 

Yeah, I agree.
I've been basically fasting for 33 days now. I've tried doing this consistently within the last year or so but I eventually run out of willpower and end back up where I started. It's extremely frustrating.
If you've read my response to the first quote, you'll see I did indeed jump right back in, but I can't really explain it but experiencing it through the lenses of awareness I think has helped, at least to justify the current path I'm on regardless. 

Edited by octsober

I believe it's really difficult to go backwards. It takes a whole lot of energy and time to actually step down in consciousness, if you can at all. The only way you can feel like you've lost your progress is if you believe so. Believing you're back where you started forms an illusion and it feels like you are. This is a big part of your problem I feel. Don't be so hard on yourself, this gets as much accomplished as guilting yourself into quitting. How can you make progress if you're too worried about losing it? 

Time , time,  time the whole point is give yourself time and make slow deliberate mindful action . 

Start testing this with little things wich will not affect your progress . If you don't meditate  start meditating .