DizIzMikey

Ego

7 posts in this topic

Some of us are suffering because the very first time the impression of self was "imposed" on an "individual" was accepted by that individual.

The very first bite...MMMMM TASTY... THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOOD AND EVIL! 

Just wanted to put my thought out.. EGO..you know how it goes

Edited by DizIzMikey

i highly recommend this book: the ego tunnel by Thomas Metzinger. this book explains everything about ego and self

The ego is the enemy. The forbidden fruit

Edited by Boss

On 8/8/2016 at 8:23 AM, Boss said:

The ego is the enemy.

No it's not. It's just another aspect of human experience which needs to be unconditionally loved. It's enemy only as long as it's treated as enemy.

@ttm  the insight in that statement is strong and accurate imo

The Ego as I understand it , is the part of the brain that tries to keep one safe from perceived dangers or threats ,   a useful purpose but is wild and untamed with very little reasoning power if any.

The popular belief is that the ego is responsible for our self confidence and self worth , but its not , it wants to keep us as safe as possible at all costs  even sabotaging friendships etc etc

The ego wants to separate us from others so we stay safe , lonely and sad have no effect on the ego , it wants separation from others to keep us safe.

It wants to protect at all costs , happiness does not matter to it  only survival and separation from others.

Apparently its a left over from of our early primitive brain that runs on instinct without the need for knowledge.

The trick is to ignore its bad advice its selfishness and its desire to separate us from loved ones and friends.

My tip is to

A) Don't argue with it , instead ignore it and the thoughts it suggests to you 

B) Use your thinking brain instead of the reactive ego with its selfish thinking.

Edited by Beam

There's a lot of helpful information about the ego in the book called 'A New Earth' By Eckhart Tolle - There's 3 chapters dedicated to the workings of it!

I write about scientific-based self-help, habits, productivity, creativity and ancient wisdom over at www.selfempoweredlife.com

"Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep" - The Internet