jes

Balance Of Being And Doing

9 posts in this topic

hello my friends and my new family , just wanna share i experience something today was balance between being and doing , we can go in extremes of two, if eg  i am just a doer ,which we are majority ( so called neurotic) we forgot and donot enjoy what is it like to be being, BUT ,i also wanna share ,just being won't help you either, you have to take some good action( do it) , so importance I feel is learn  TO BE WHILE TO DO  :) 

more suggestions :) 

@jes there may be another twist to it, what if you can 'be' in the middle of doing

when people say you can meditate while doing some activity, even though advanced, it's that balance of doing both at the same time! 

Exactly, I found that's key for a lot of things. If you do it mindfully, paying attention, focusing on being while doing, everything works smoothly. As if you were doing nothing. LoL

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

I remember reading something from Eckhart Tolle in A New Earth saying that to do everything from a place of being. In another words, checking into your awareness should be your #1 priority before doing anything. Living from inside out rather than for outside in. 

From, A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle:

3 Modalities of Awakened Doing are Acceptance, Enjoyment, and Enthusiasm. You need to be vigilant to make sure that one of them operates whenever you are engaged in doing anything at all - from the most simple tasks to the most complex. If you are not in the state of either acceptance, enjoyment, or enthusiasm, look closely and you will find that you are creating suffering for yourself and others.

Performing an action in the state of acceptance means you are at peace while you do it. If you can neither enjoy or bring acceptance to what you do - stop, Otherwise, you are not taking responsibility for the only thing you can really take responsibility for, which also happens to be the one thing that really matters: your state of consciousness. And if you are not taking responsibility for your state of consciousness, you are not taking responsibility for your life. 

It makes it appear that the joy comes from what you do, but that is not the case. Joy does not come from what you do, it flows into what you do and thus into this world from deep within you. This misperception that joy comes from what you do is normal, and it is also dangerous, because it creates the belief that joy is something that can be derived from something else, such as an activity or thing. You then look to the world to bring you joy, happiness. But it cannot do that. This is why many people live in constant frustration. 

Then there is another way of creative manifestation that may come to those who remain true to their inner purpose of awakening. Suddenly one day they know what their outer purpose is. They have a great vision, a goal, and from then on the work toward implementing that goal. Their goal or vision is usually connected in some way to something that on a smaller scale they are doing and enjoy doing already. This is where the third modality of awakened doing arises: enthusiasm. The word enthusiasm comes from ancient Greek - en and theos, meaning God. And the related word enthousiazein means "to be possessed by a god." With enthusiasm you will find that you don't have to do it all by yourself. Sustained enthusiasm brings into existence a wave of creative energy, and all you have to do then is "ride the wave."

Enthusiasm and the ego cannot coexist. One implies the absence of the other. Enthusiasm knows where it is going, but at the same time, it is deeply at one with the present moment, the source of its aliveness, its joy, and its power. Enthusiasm wants nothing because it lacks nothing.

Make sure your vision or goal is not an inflated image of yourself and therefore a concealed form of ego, such as wanting to become a movie star, a famous writer, or a wealthy entrepreneur. Also make sure your goal is not focused on having this or that, such as a mansion by the sea, your own company, or ten million dollars in the bank. Instead, make sure your goals are dynamic, that is to say, point toward an activity that you are engaged in and through which you are connected to other human beings as well as to the whole. Instead of seeing yourself as a famous actor and writer and so on, see yourself inspiring countless people with your work and enriching their lives. Feel how that activity enriches or deepens not only your life but that of countless others. Feel yourself being an opening through which energy flows from the unmanifested Source of all life through you for the benefit of all.

Got a bit off tangent there lol. Well I sure did benefit from this as I typed it. :) 

Edited by JustinS
letter

Thanks @JustinS for posting that. I read the Power of Now, I have to read A New Earth.

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

3 hours ago, JustinS said:

I remember reading something from Eckhart Tolle in A New Earth saying that to do everything from a place of being. In another words, checking into your awareness should be your #1 priority before doing anything. Living from inside out rather than for outside in. 

From, A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle:

3 Modalities of Awakened Doing are Acceptance, Enjoyment, and Enthusiasm. You need to be vigilant to make sure that one of them operates whenever you are engaged in doing anything at all - from the most simple tasks to the most complex. If you are not in the state of either acceptance, enjoyment, or enthusiasm, look closely and you will find that you are creating suffering for yourself and others.

Performing an action in the state of acceptance means you are at peace while you do it. If you can neither enjoy or bring acceptance to what you do - stop, Otherwise, you are not taking responsibility for the only thing you can really take responsibility for, which also happens to be the one thing that really matters: your state of consciousness. And if you are not taking responsibility for your state of consciousness, you are not taking responsibility for your life. 

It makes it appear that the joy comes from what you do, but that is not the case. Joy does not come from what you do, it flows into what you do and thus into this world from deep within you. This misperception that joy comes from what you do is normal, and it is also dangerous, because it creates the belief that joy is something that can be derived from something else, such as an activity or thing. You then look to the world to bring you joy, happiness. But it cannot do that. This is why many people live in constant frustration. 

Then there is another way of creative manifestation that may come to those who remain true to their inner purpose of awakening. Suddenly one day they know what their outer purpose is. They have a great vision, a goal, and from then on the work toward implementing that goal. Their goal or vision is usually connected in some way to something that on a smaller scale they are doing and enjoy doing already. This is where the third modality of awakened doing arises: enthusiasm. The word enthusiasm comes from ancient Greek - en and theos, meaning God. And the related word enthousiazein means "to be possessed by a god." With enthusiasm you will find that you don't have to do it all by yourself. Sustained enthusiasm brings into existence a wave of creative energy, and all you have to do then is "ride the wave."

Enthusiasm and the ego cannot coexist. One implies the absence of the other. Enthusiasm knows where it is going, but at the same time, it is deeply at one with the present moment, the source of its aliveness, its joy, and its power. Enthusiasm wants nothing because it lacks nothing.

Make sure your vision or goal is not an inflated image of yourself and therefore a concealed form of ego, such as wanting to become a movie star, a famous writer, or a wealthy entrepreneur. Also make sure your goal is not focused on having this or that, such as a mansion by the sea, your own company, or ten million dollars in the bank. Instead, make sure your goals are dynamic, that is to say, point toward an activity that you are engaged in and through which you are connected to other human beings as well as to the whole. Instead of seeing yourself as a famous actor and writer and so on, see yourself inspiring countless people with your work and enriching their lives. Feel how that activity enriches or deepens not only your life but that of countless others. Feel yourself being an opening through which energy flows from the unmanifested Source of all life through you for the benefit of all.

Got a bit off tangent there lol. Well I sure did benefit from this as I typed it. :) 

This is awesomeness ! Thanks for sharing. :-)

8 hours ago, abrakamowse said:

Exactly, I found that's key for a lot of things. If you do it mindfully, paying attention, focusing on being while doing, everything works smoothly. As if you were doing nothing. LoL

yes when you function from the right place the doing takes care of itself

When confronted with polarities that obviously need to be balanced in order to live well (homeless/toxic wealth, reactive/mindless, dogmatic/indecisive, being/doing, etc.), I have never liked to idea of dividing activities in time, e.g.

Now I 'do' a little being, and now  I do a little doing.

As the others suggested, aim for the middle way - an integration of both polarities. Make your everyday life your meditation.