john5170

Monkey mind constantly sees myself in hypothetical "high status" cases, anyone else?

5 posts in this topic

My mind in "monkey" talk mode constantly envisions myself in scenarios where I am a "higher status" person and people look up to me. For example: a movie star, instagram celebrity, famous singer, etc. - I imagine it is me being that person, and derive events from that (fans, fame, other's jealousy, etc.).

It is not negative, but it constantly bothers me because it is very distracting from the present moment.

Anyone else do that? Anyone knows how to solve this and reach peace?

Maybe, given the emptiness of my life - I need those thoughts to pump my ego up - but that's just a thought...

Even my meditation sessions, I cannot focus because of that...

Edited by john5170

Theres some deep rooted mental programming there from your early life experiences most likely. Really contemplate and feel into what comes up when that arises and try to keep digging deeper to the root cause, assumptions you’ve made concerning your self-survival.

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

On 1/1/2020 at 1:09 AM, john5170 said:

My mind in "monkey" talk mode constantly envisions myself in scenarios where I am a "higher status" person and people look up to me. For example: a movie star, instagram celebrity, famous singer, etc. - I imagine it is me being that person, and derive events from that (fans, fame, other's jealousy, etc.).

It is not negative, but it constantly bothers me because it is very distracting from the present moment.

Maybe, given the emptiness of my life - I need those thoughts to pump my ego up - but that's just a thought...

hahaha yes its been doing that since I was at least in middle school.  But I was very unpopular so that's probably why.  Even to this day I have  dreams that I was a child tv star.  Although I haven't imagined being famous in waking life in a long time. 

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay  

On 1/1/2020 at 8:09 AM, john5170 said:

Anyone else do that?

When your mind can't fully actualize it's nature in the physical world, we create fictional worlds.

I've been doing that every day since I was a child. Just dreaming worlds for hours on end.

Observe and learn from them. They'll display your mind's shadows. 

"It is the emptiness within the cup that makes it useful."

On 2020-01-01 at 7:09 AM, john5170 said:

I dont get the obsession with being in the present moment. Its nice to let the mind wander. To me. When i "meditate" im just practicing being still. Feel all emotions hear all thoughts. But im still. My body is still. Thats realy all i care about. Sometimes i think about stuff. Activly. It happens. I realy dont care for being more in the present moment at all. It is what it is. Im accepting that.