Nash

Why is mathematics not a universal language?

35 posts in this topic

I'm having a little difficulty understanding why mathematics isn't universal. I'll admit, I haven't contemplated this deeply myself yet. Could someone answer this for me?

Ask a donkey if he understands your universal language.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Isn't it still true even if it's not understood? If math is only relevant to human logic, than how else would an alien go about calculating something to build a spacecraft persay? I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around this.

Contemplate the possibility that math does not exist for a donkey at all. Zero. Not even zero. And yet the donkey lives just fine without it.

I can see that. But for a highly intelligent creature, would they just have an alternative way of living that completely bypasses math?

48 minutes ago, Nash said:

for a highly intelligent creature, would they just have an alternative way of living that completely bypasses math?

If the answer we're "no", would it make math an universal language?

What does "universal language" mean to you?

unborn Truth

@ajasatyaWell I guess I phrased this wrongly. I meant is it still real even if one organism doesn't know it's real, and another does?

Edited by Nash

Does nothing really exist and things are just sort of appearing?

55 minutes ago, Nash said:

Does nothing really exist and things are just sort of appearing?

Awareness doesn't appear. It's eternal changeless now. Thoughts do, emotions, stuff like that changes but that doesn't mean they are unreal - just real stuff changing, coming and  going. Point to me one unreal non-existent thing in your direct experience. 

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Ask a donkey if he understands your universal language.

Or just ask me. 

Edited by Highest

1 hour ago, Nash said:

@ajasatyaWell I guess I phrased this wrongly. I meant is it still real even if one organism doesn't know it's real, and another does?

There is no such thing as "real"! You imagine that.

A highly intelligent being would understand the relativity of reality.

I have a lot of deep questions, I could ask so many things. I'm getting into psychedelics soon, so I'm hoping that along with watching more videos on Actualized will help me make some progress. I think I may have to go back and watch some videos too.

Edited by Nash

1 minute ago, Leo Gura said:

There is no such thing as "real"! You imagine that.

A highly intelligent being would understand the relativity of reality.

What's the difference between imagination and reality? Sure I imagine "real", but does that make a thing less real? If love itself is imagined, does that make love any less real? 

Love is not imagined. Love is the process and substance of imagination itself.

1 minute ago, Leo Gura said:

Love is not imagined. Love is the process and substance of imagination itself.

Okay, I guess a rock is imagined then. How does that make it less REAL?

9 hours ago, Nash said:

I'm having a little difficulty understanding why mathematics isn't universal. I'll admit, I haven't contemplated this deeply myself yet. Could someone answer this for me?

Mathematics is universal. 

Look at any country in the world. They are using the same mathematics 
 to engineer their whole infrastructure, buildings, bridges, electronics, etc

Edited by Nak Khid

2 hours ago, Highest said:

Okay, I guess a rock is imagined then. How does that make it less REAL?

Is last night's dream real? Is Santa Claus real?

The rock will only become less real when you are directly conscious that it is something you imagine. Right now you are just playing intellectual games. You are not actually conscious that the rock is imaginary. There is no substitute for consciousness here.

Mathematics might be a projection onto reality but if you want to progress past a donkey you will have to make that projection.

ET's have a self and other distinction and thats where counting begins. You just wont lift off if you cant even calculate the circumference of your planet, its not gonna happen.

1 hour ago, Forrest Adkins said:

You just wont lift off if you cant even calculate the circumference of your planet, its not gonna happen.

You don't need to calculate the circumference of your planet if you can realize that your planet is imaginary.

The deepest problems aren't solved at the same level of consciousness that created them.

God does not create the universe by crunching numbers. God is not a geek with a slide-rule and pocket calculator. Hahaha... Such a Creator would be a devil, not God.

what relevance does the number of planets have in the universe? for whom does it matter if one of them disappears? what does a number of bacteria growth say? and can you explain joy in numbers - if mathematics was a universal language you could explain all i have said by now with mathematics. maths is a descriptive language that is used to talk about proportionalities and probabilities it does not transport information about qualitative differences. in that sense, maths is not really a language but a tool to code proportionalities into sequences and is part of a language system - a number is part of a cultural development and sign system and not separated from it. but it is in a sense a limited tool, the same as using a word like many does not say anything about what many means without using math. what do i care about a mountain of shoes if there is always only one of a pair and they are all different in size and form.

a donkey will understand two carrots and an apple not in sense of numbers. and it does not make you more intelligent just because you can. what makes you more intelligent is understanding the whole situation even though you used maths.

Edited by remember