Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Greer

Using Dmt As A Way Of Exploring Consciousness

16 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and have been listening to and acting on Leo's podcast almost every day since I discovered them 1.5 months ago. I'm so grateful for the time Leo has invested in them! 
This post is about using DMT as a means of exploring consciousness / reality. I've got a friend who has had it about 50 times and I'm considering taking it myself with the intention of deepening my experience of consciousness/All that is. I used to party quite a bit but now am only interested in taking something as a conscious/spiritual act with a clear intention.
I'm interested if any of you have taken DMT and whether you had any negative experiences/effects? I took Acid a few times and remember just wanting it to end but feeling trapped in it, and likewise used to smoke a bit of pot and would enjoy it initially and then become pretty paranoid. My 'drug days' were in my mid-late 20s however and I am now in my mid 30s and have invested a lot of time/energy in my spiritual growth/consciousness expansion and sense that DMT could be a really eye-opening experience. I feel myself a bit 'caught' on the mind telling me 'it might go pear shaped' - and my heart encouraging me to 'give it a go / play with it / see what happens'. I generally live from my 'heart' but/and I'm a Mum of 2 young girls however and now apply a lot more consideration before taking on 'risks'.  
I'd love to hear your thoughts/experiences. 

Cheers from Australia :)
Greer.

Hello Greer,

Ofcourse, you can 'give it a go / play with it / see what happens' .

I 've taken drugs from 16 until 24 years old and had the "become pretty paranoid - experience" myself  (weed, hash, xtc, mdma-powder, GHB, speed, cocaïne, mushrooms, ..., and multiple combinations).

Looking back at that period, drugs only gave me an altered mental state and some more illusions about myself and my surroundings.

So personally', I don't think drugs has something to do with spiritual growth. 

Staying clear from drugs, feels more like spiritual growth to me ... .

Kind regards, Lionfish.

SWIM used to do DMT a couple of times last year and had some interesting experiences with it. He did it after researching psychedelics a lot intellectually and then experientially. He had the most eye-opening experiences with DMT - this will probably change your views on a lot of subjects if you approach it in a spiritual way.

However he also has to note that in the long run psychedelics (Acid, DMT, Shrooms) are more like the candy of this whole game. They don't shortcut your journey and they won't have such a lasting effect as meditation - not at all. But if you want to have a mystical experience .. try it. SWIM still does it here and there if he has time and nothing to do but it seems like you do this for some time and then just stop or just use it for cleaning your psyche from bullshit on occasions.

So yeah, have a try if you want. DMT - if you asked SWIM - is probably the coolest / weirdest / mind-opening thing you can do on this planet. You don't find anything that is even remotely similar. To really get your spiritual journey going: meditate, read up on topics, think about them, inquire.

Cheers, :P

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

Edited by Arik
System doubled my prior post.

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

No experience with (smoked) DMT. Check out Terrence Mckenna, if you haven't already.

*DO NOT USE DRUGS.*

You can't prepare for it, you can't understand it, it's will show you that reality is more of a question. You will leave all you know and time doesn't exist. Have fun ?. I'll be lurking here but I have this screen shot from dmt-nexus that can hopefully lead you to some answers in regard to it aiding in the exploration of consciousness. 

Note how the author says that it is an aided non dual experience but it is not THE non dual experience. It won't be permanent but for a few days after you will be left in a state similar to what people describe as enlightened. Shoot for complete ego death and you'll have a true glimpse of what you without you is. You should (depending) be able to remain quite distant from your ego for a few days. 

Screenshot_2016-06-10-01-58-29.png

@LionFish thanks for your comments and sharing your experiences. I appreciate that.

@Arik thanks - I'm taking on board everything you are saying. You are right - and if I'm completely honest, I do see it as possibly 'shortcutting' my journey... yet I'm also intrigued by the experience itself having watched the clip @David1 posted before and several others like it... I'm trying not to over analyse it all - ye olde 'mind' keeps creating thoughts and as I type this, I realise the first step in my decision is actually to observe my thoughts on it all... I listened to Leo's "rationalism" podcast this morning.... which reinforces the whole notion of 'rationalising' a decision is absurd in itself. ! Ahh... the journey continues :)

@Friend thanks for posting - I can't actually read the screenshot. Would you mind posting the browser link please? I had a meditation experience last month where I experienced me as not me - I was complete awareness - and I had zero identification with the legs I saw in front of me - I didn't even think "they are not my legs" or even label them as "legs"... they just 'were' - as was the chair, the carpet etc. ... It's this state that I'm interested in but/and in a 'outer space' kind of realm... seeing bands of energy etc. etc. which I become aware of sometimes as I am drifting off to sleep - as in, I'm seeing them, and then think, "Oh - wow - I'm seeing bands of energy... who is seeing bands of energy"...
Anyhoo - thanks so much once again everyone for your time and comments.
Cheers.

@Meave - thank you. Yes this was one of the first videos i watched on it.  I've since seen DMT: The Spirit Molecule which was awesome. Thanks for posting :)
Have you tried it yourself?

@Greer Hi Greer Have you ever considered a "float tank" experience?

Messing with your sensory perceptions with stimulants seems like just another distraction, regardless it's quite neutral . The mind clings on an idea of it being an answer which isn't the case.

21 hours ago, Greer said:

@Meave - thank you. Yes this was one of the first videos i watched on it.  I've since seen DMT: The Spirit Molecule which was awesome. Thanks for posting :)
Have you tried it yourself?

I haven't, I really wanted to and found it fascinating but I just don't think it would help me in the stage of my journey I'm in right now. @khalifa while I somewhat agree that it may be a distraction, depending where you are in your journey, this isn't your ordinary stimulant. This is a molecule that your brain produces, and many believe from the pineal gland and what causes us to dream and what the brain sees at the time of death. 

Edited by Meave

Yes @Meave I agree - the stage of ones journey no doubt effects the experience and ongoing effects on the journeyer. I've resisted up until now as I could tell there was an element of it wanting to be a free ticket/pass in to extremely heightened states of awareness.
I now see it as a 'deepening' rather than a 'distraction' @khalifa - I've experienced multiple states of awakening throughout the past 5 years and can now attain them relatively easily and see using DMT with clear intention, respect and surrender as a way of bringing in yet another perspective/dimension to explore higher and higher / deeper and deeper realms... oOo... :)