Donald

What Do You Think About Eckhart Tolle's Book " The Power Of Now "

34 posts in this topic

@Neo

On 2/21/2016 at 3:54 AM, Neo said:

Which one would you recommend?

I liked Eckhart Tolle The Power of Now, it is good if you are beginning to get into all new concepts. It clarified me a lot of things that happened to me and I didn't have idea what was it all about. hehehehe... I am walking the path since I was a kid without knowing it. Tolle helped me to stand on my own feet, now I am reading Mc Kenna. 

Everything has its purpose.

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

Eckhart's work is great.  If you ever have trouble sleeping listen to the Power of Now in audio book before bed.  You will be asleep in 5 minutes.  It works awesome.

8 hours ago, Daryn said:

Eckhart's work is great.  If you ever have trouble sleeping listen to the Power of Now in audio book before bed.  You will be asleep in 5 minutes.  It works awesome.

I did that yesterday

:P

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?

Everyone who is interested in enlightenment and even achieving that state has to read this book or listen to the audiobook at least once. i found it very profound and packed with tons of deep insights. You probably need to read/hear this more than once though. I have the german version audiobook where Eckhart Tolle reads it himself and his voice is just soo calming and relaxed...first it's trange to listen too because he seems very bored and emotionless, but after a while you will love it and think it's perfect.

I regard this book a MUST READ for everyone on the enlightenment or self-actualization path.

On 2/15/2016 at 5:13 PM, jjer94 said:

A solid book for getting introduced into the topic of enlightenment. However, his techniques often imply that you have to stop thinking. Like, literally try to stop your thinking. That's what I did for a while after reading his book, trying to be present all the time. Just as a warning, that's going to get you nowhere if you're a serious seeker. It actually requires a lot of unnecessary effort too. 

You still need to think!  He's not advocating not using your mind as a tool for day to day problem solving.  He's telling you not to let your mind take over..get it?

That's true @Ramu @jjer94 he's not saying "stop thinking", he says "observe your thinking"... know yourself. And conquer it.

:)

It's a beautiful book to start with, if you want to explore Eckhart Tolle further check out his other book (A New Earth) which digs around wider aspects in the subject.

Can anyone tell me if "A New Earth" is a better book for a beginner? thanks in advance.

5 minutes ago, Neo said:

Can anyone tell me if "A New Earth" is a better book for a beginner? thanks in advance.

A New Earth is a great read and expounds on what is written in Power of Now.  I also STRONGLY recommend reading The Untethered Soul by Michael Singer and Indie Spiritualist by Chris Grosso.  The Untethered Soul starts by going into detail discussing Witness Consciousness.  Indie Spiritualist is a no BS guide into spirituality and stresses that we should relax and be ourselves and not fall into the trap of "Popular Spirituality".  A real eye opener!

he's not saying "stop thinking", he says "observe your thinking"

Yes, I think that is his main point...but some foolish ones like me decided that meant to just stop your thinking....

You still need to think!  He's not advocating not using your mind as a tool for day to day problem solving.  He's telling you not to let your mind take over..get it?

Yeah, I get it now, just didn't get it back then. But the way you say 'not to let your mind take over'...It always takes over in your current paradigm. Observe your thinking, as Eckhart says, is a great technique for the journey. But in my opinion, Eckhart's methods of trying to be present is like giving candy to a prisoner. I mean, if the prisoner likes candy, that's cool. But he/she then depends on a constant source of candy to function, to distract themselves from the fact that they are in prison. Why not just break out of prison first, and then you can buy all the candy you want if you still have the desire?

Here's another analogy. Trying to be present is like trying to build a new house with the same rickety foundation. Why not just destroy the foundation first and rebuild?

What's the prison and what's the foundation? Ego. 

“Feeling is the antithesis of pain."

—Arthur Janov

13 minutes ago, jjer94 said:

Here's another analogy. Trying to be present is like trying to build a new house with the same rickety foundation. Why not just destroy the foundation first and rebuild?

What's the prison and what's the foundation? Ego. 

That's how you destroy your ego, observing it. Learn its ways and know it's full of bullshit.

1 hour ago, Ramu said:

A New Earth is a great read and expounds on what is written in Power of Now.  I also STRONGLY recommend reading The Untethered Soul by Michael Singer and Indie Spiritualist by Chris Grosso.  The Untethered Soul starts by going into detail discussing Witness Consciousness.  Indie Spiritualist is a no BS guide into spirituality and stresses that we should relax and be ourselves and not fall into the trap of "Popular Spirituality".  A real eye opener!

Thank you but I already decided to read either of Tolle's books but couldn't decide which of the two?

39 minutes ago, Neo said:

Thank you but I already decided to read either of Tolle's books but couldn't decide which of the two?

Read a New Earth.  Its as easy a read as Power of Now is, but more detailed.  One needn' t read Power of Now after because it becomes redundant.

@Donald I think it's one of the best books out there, especially practical side. The main idea is to stop thinking and start listening your intuition and book gives you pretty good insights with exercises.

On Monday, February 15, 2016 at 5:57 PM, jjer94 said:

Self inquiry is not stopping thought. It's examining yourself and your experience by asking deep questions such as, "What is the purpose of this emotion," or "What am I?" or "What is aware of all of this?" or "What is Truth?" and many, many more.

when you asking self-inquiry questions, idea is to avoid thoughts from your mind and start feeling deep inside you developing your intuition. Its not easy and takes time.