Pernani

Overcoming addiction to entertainment

4 posts in this topic

All of you self actualizers here, have you really overcome your addiction to entertainment (movies, videogames.. basically anything that leaves u feeling hollow after u spend a while binging on it) and junk food ? As in REALLY overcome it that you don't get any cravings to it anymore, and that u dont need to resist anymore ? And besides work do you spend your entire day doing conscious things and engaging in self improvement (or spiritual) practices?

I would be cautious of creating a standard of success to be a permanent nirvana-like state in which I have zero "bad" desires and 100% "good" desires in which I am happily motivated to be productive all the time and spend 100% of my time being productive and engaging in self improvement and spiritual practices. That standard is just so unreasonable and it sets the person up for failure. . . It would be like me wanting to get back into good physical shape - yet my standard for being in good physical shape is: never missing a single day of working out under any circumstances, never eating any snacks or candy, having 5% body fat, bench pressing 150% of my body weight and winning an olympic gold medal in both weightlifting and the marathon. I would just be setting myself up for failure. With this standard of success, as soon as I fall short I will think "see, I knew I would fail. I might as well go back to playing video games all day and eating potato chips". 

For personal transformation, I think it's much better to develop healthy habits incrementally and have attainable goals - both short-term goals and long term goals - yet not be so demanding and rigid that I sabotage myself and set myself up for failure. For example, a goal of running at least 5 miles everyday is too rigid. What if I am sick one day and it would be unhealthy to run? What if I get a minor injury and running on it would seriously injure myself? A better goal might be "I am committed to 45min. of exercise five days a week". This provides structure, yet also flexibility.

Regarding freedom of addiction, it depends. . . I still have desires that would be considered "spiritually incorrect". That is part of the human experience. I wouldn't want to live without some of those desires. Yet I also wouldn't want my life to be constantly driven by those desires. . . Regarding specific addictions, yes some can be completely overcome. The strongest addiction in my life was chewing tobacco. I was mentally and physically addicted hardcore. I tried to quit for many years and kept failing. . . Quitting that habit was one of the hardest thing I've ever done. My mind and body was obsessed and I thought I would never be free of the physical and mental addiction. Yet with time it got less and less intense. I would say it took about two years to become completely free. I have not had a single desire or craving to chew tobacco for over 15 years. I don't even think about it. Even the thought of it doesn't arise. It's a non-issue in my life. So yes, it is possible to become 100% free from an addiction. 

@Pernani I have.

The answer isn't straight forward though, so maybe it's best illustrated via a story.

I used to be a huge video game addict. Spent my whole teen years playing them as much as possible, to the detriment of my personal life and maturity. I lived a hedonistic lifestyle, thinking this is happiness. But deep down, I was miserable.

When it came time to 'go out into the real world', and get a job and start taking responsibility, I realized I had nothing to give. I had the sudden realisation, "my life sucks. Playing all these games has done nothing but left me empty, an a shadow of a man".

I experienced first hand the true value of living hedonisticly, and I despaired. This is the important part. I directly experienced how shit empty entertainment and pleasure was, without working for it. How it destroys you slowly and renders you weak and unhappy.

So I vowed to make a change. I researched what true happiness is, read many books and slowly over time changed my value system and beliefs. 

Now, I just don't even think about video games anymore. It is Simply so far down on the priority list, it never gets touched. There is just too many other important and more meaningful things in front of it. Things that actually make me happy, that benefit my life, and the life of those around me.

And the best thing is, once my value system was changed, it was quite effortless to give it up. It simply become no longer important, so as there is no struggle with it. It requires no willpower to fight the addiction anymore.

Now I still play computer games about once a month when I hang out with friends in person. But I have no inclination to continue playing once it's switched off. That's how you know you have fully overcome the addiction.

Now besides work i:

• Lift weights
  • Run
  • Journal
  • Read
  • Hang out with friends
  • Hang out with girlfriend
  • Work on my business
  • Do yoga
  • Occasionally go hiking and camping
  • Browse this forum (my one guilty pleasure xD)

1 hour ago, Pernani said:

All of you self actualizers here, have you really overcome your addiction to entertainment (movies, videogames.. basically anything that leaves u feeling hollow after u spend a while binging on it) and junk food ? As in REALLY overcome it that you don't get any cravings to it anymore, and that u dont need to resist anymore ? And besides work do you spend your entire day doing conscious things and engaging in self improvement (or spiritual) practices?

Ordinary life with its distractions and addictions (if observed) is spiritual practice. 

Your main aim is disidentification and integration. That means you watch yourself living your life in a non judgemental way.  

What do you think spiritual practice is? 

At the moment it sounds as if you think normal life is shit and that there is something more "spiritual" that you should be doing.