Santiago

Building Muscle While Eating Healthy, Is It A Myth?

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm into healthy eating and going to the gym, building muscle.

To achieve my gym objectives I should be eating lots of protein per day, for example according to my macros right now I should be eating 175 grams of protein per day. But I also want to eat healthy and whenever I find a source of protein there are hundreds of articles on the internet exaplaining why that food is carcinogenic or other unhealthy stuff...

Meats, eggs and dairy are carcinogenic according to different studies. So what the hell do I eat? only beams and lentils??

Gluten is also bad, so discard bread and pasta.

What now?

PD: organic food in my country is veeery expensive, when I advance in my career and start earning more money I might try that, but for now I can't afford too much of it.

Edited by Santiago

Meat, eggs are not dangerous. Ignore this outdated, outproven science. 

Just use logic, what did we eat when we were hunters and gatherers? Hunting around in the forest.

Endless nuance

You can't possibly not eat, and eat, all of the things that random internet articles say are good/bad for you in various ways. There's so much contradictory clickbait nonsense out there regarding nutrition it's ridiculous. Like Simon said, eat what you know you're supposed to eat. Whole foods, not processed junk. Meat, eggs, fish, nuts, oils, and a wide array of plants. If anything is carcinogenic it's Fruity Pebbles, Poptarts, Orange Soda, Skittles, etc, etc

To minimise fat gain and feeling like absolute shit, I would reccomend eating high calorie foods like nuts and dark chocolate. Make sure you get enough protein also.

If you find a ''internet claim'' about something, always go to the primal source, check the referenced authors, linked studies ect. Don't just buy the stuff they say, just don't, always question them. Very often you will find that the writers of these articles are cherry picking stuff, and are trying to write a cool article that will be read by the masses. On what science ? On none.

You can get your protein from meat and yes, you can get your protein from eggs and milk products,  if you ask me, that's the best way to get it. Milk/egg/meat protein is very bio-efficient, and will get absorbed 90+ % of the total amount most of the times, it has awesome amino profile, and has a great macro profile, which makes it easy to integrate into a meal plan. Plant protein tends to have crappy biological value, crappy amino acid profile and it has terrible macro nutrient ratio which makes it hard to work with, if you want to make a meal plan. (Unless you are not eating hemp seeds)...I am not saying you should avoid it, its way cheaper anyway, but you'll get as much for that price.

And if you are work working out,  lifting, 1g per pound of bw is ideal. I would even go for 1.2g/1 pound of bw if you are cutting and are trying to lose weight. I'll say that you are on the right path for now :D

Don't even trust me, go and check the stuff out.
Read the books, find the people that really know this stuff.

"If you immediately know the candle-light is fire then the meal was cooked along time ago"