Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dalink

Being aware of space itself during meditation

1 post in this topic

Good morning,

First I'd like to mention that I've had these kind of experiences on several occasions, so I'm curious if anyone here can recognize what I will try to explain.

So I'm sitting on my cushion with eyes wide open, literally with my attention/focus on one visible object in the room.  At this point I'd say I'm aware of that object my attention is focused on and not so much aware of the surroundings of that object. 

A few moments later, I close my eyes and observe the darkness that unfolds and try to keep my attention there. A few more moments I slightly open my eyes again and now my focus/attention is kind of observing the space of what seems to be literally right infront of me. So my attention is no longer focused on a specific object in the room, rather my attention is focused on the space itself in the room. It kind of felt like I went cross-eyed for a brief moment haha.  

It's very similar as to when you're observing a window itself and when you're looking through the window observing objects. You may notice there's a subtle shift in your perception if you pay attention. 

It's a very tingly and interesting experience and I noticed that as soon as I tried to get back to it it just went further and further away.

So, anyone who have had similar experience who care to explain what this was?