Paul-from-France

About The Neti Neti Method, What If Our Senses Are Simply Not Powerful Enough To Find Ourselves ?

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone !

While going through the Neti Neti visualization,  especially when it comes to the channels smell and taste, it seems rather unsatisfying to basically dismiss those only because we naturally have poor faculties in both smell and taste ; which is also relatively true for all of our senses knowing that none of them are perfect. Leo says this himself : " the channel of taste is very easy because we have such a poor sense of taste ". This is a misinterpretation. Theoretically, we might be capable of smelling something coming from our true self if only we had a much more powerful sense of smell ; and of course this is also true for all the other senses.

What do you guys think ?

@Paul-from-France How do you smell something that is coming from your true self? You cannot smell, taste, hear, feel, see, or think your true self. You're not the sensory phenomenon, you're that which is aware of the sensory phenomenon. You're beyond all sensory phenomenon. 

Tell me how can you smell/taste or experience  a " thing " that does not exist in any way shape or form ?

Thank you and first of all, let me say that I agree with you both on a philosophical level. I too have read the theory of enlightenment. Indeed we are not sensory phenomenon, as Infinite said. Indeed we do not exist in any way, shape or form, as Donald said. But you both understand that knowing this is not enough at all. We need to discover that empirically. So how can we be certain of the exhaustiveness our empirical examination since we have such poor senses ?

@Paul-from-France Well, because we have such poor senses we have made all kinds of extensions of the senses which we use in our physics.

But you are taking a dead end street here..., it is the art of asking the right questions to move forward. This does not make any sense?!

6 hours ago, Paul-from-France said:

So how can we be certain of the exhaustiveness our empirical examination since we have such poor senses ?

No Paul, the only way is through insights of our true self. And we understand it while we have the experience but when you want to explain it there's no words to explain it because it transcends law of physics or our senses. That's why is so difficult to prove, only personal experience can achieve that.  And not through thinking or empirical methods. In fact, there's no methods.

^_^

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

Thanks Henri but enlightenment is not physics. I know it's a dead end street, this is just for the sake of argument. Still we can not deny that, hypothetically, if we had an amazing sense of sight acting in the largest spectrum for example, or even a crazier sixth sense whatever that would be, then there's no way to know what we could find out. Doesn't it sound too easy to say : we can not find ourselves through our senses (nor physics) therefore we must be nothingness ?

@Paul-from-France  If you drive a car, you can look through the window as far as you like or can, but it`s not going to teach you anything about the power of the car.

The senses are nothing but limited tools. To say because of that, we must be nothingness , is a short cut. It`s about making the distinction between the relative and the absolute; that`s where the neti-neti technique is about. So the proper questions are needed otherwise it`s a never ending story.

A good example is astronomy. The further one looks the more complicate it becomes till one ends up with total nonsense. Same with the quantum mechanics. If you dive more into the senses the same will happen. It`s important to distinguish the relative and the absolute, the relative meaning everything that has a beginning will have an end also. The absolute being without beginning thus without end.

And for the conclusion of being nothingness; I prefer being fullness! 9_9