Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StephenK

A Model for Free Global Education (Massively Online)

8 posts in this topic

I'm imagining a system where all classes and lectures are online for free. Knowledge is completely open source. You then have testing centers all around the world that charge a minimal fee to write a standardized exam on a particular topic. So an employer could say, "Please pass Computer Science Exam A1B, A1C and Z43 with a average score greater than 80% to apply for this position." The only cost you have to pay is to simply write the exam. Sure, there are particular professions that require in-person training (like being a plumber, electrician),  You can take as long as you want to study. Perhaps something like this does exist, but I'm not aware? Do you think online learning can replace universities? Do you think the internet can develop to the point where education really does become free? I mean, Actualized.org is kind of like an online university, except we don't have to pass any tests ?.

In practice this isn't good enough. There are many online universities already. But most of them are crap. Education involves a lot more than reading books or watching videos. There is a social engagement aspect to it which you cannot replicate online. And just the fact of showing up to a physical classroom is important for motivation.

You can't just sit behind a computer for 12 years watching videos and clicking buttons. This kind of education will produce an army of incel trolls.

Actualized.org works because it's supplemental. It already assumes you've go a solid base of education to build on top of. And even so, this work would be 10x more powerful in person. But I'm not about to run a physical university for thousands of people, so videos are good enough for the stuff I teach. But even so, most people who watch me are not serious students. They just watch videos randomly and get little results. You can't compare watching videos to a serious in-classroom education. Although of course the content of my videos is more powerful than any university curriculum. The videos are good for me because they allow me to reach a lot more people than I otherwise could. But the downside is my videos will only work on those people who are serious, self-motivated, and self-disciplined. Also the stuff I teach wouldn't be acceptable in any institutional setting, so online is good for that.

Online is a great learning platform, but only for those who are already serious about learning.

I could not be where I am today without the great in-classroom education I got as a teen.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Online is a great learning platform, but only for those who are already serious about learning.

Yes, this actually seems to be true of my observations as well. What do you think makes a person serious about learning? Is it upbringing? Can it be taught? Do you think that people that gain the required skills as a result of being self-taught are more competent than those that are pressured to attend university (by parents, society etc)? For instance, expanding upon my first example, would you hire a self taught developer over a developer out of university, assuming the same level of competency?

Edited by StephenK

23 hours ago, StephenK said:

What do you think makes a person serious about learning?

A thousands various factors.

Is it upbringing?

Sure

Can it be taught?

Of course, but that begs the question.

Most schools are not properly structured to teach it.

Do you think that people that gain the required skills as a result of being self-taught are more competent than those that are pressured to attend university (by parents, society etc)?

Probably. Intrinsic motivation is the best kind.

But also, being self-taught does not contradict school or education. I am self-taught precisely because I had a great formal education.

Formal education primes the pump for self-teaching. The point of school is to teach you how to teach yourself and make you passionate about learning. Of course many schools are bad at doing this. But some succeed.

Going to university does not contradict being self-taught. If you attend university properly you will turn it into a self-teaching program.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

On 9/30/2019 at 7:59 PM, Leo Gura said:

a physical classroom is important for motivation.

You can imitate physical classrooms on online courses.

You can do skype sessions and dish out homework.

You will communicate with other students and your teachers.

This is probably 70~80% as good as physical classrooms and gets the job done.

Online one-on-one tutoring is hugely popular and pretty effective.

Your vocal coach can do remote lessons. Your language teacher waits online.

Edited by CreamCat

@CreamCat I also wonder how Virtual Reality will embed itself in this space -- I can imagine that virtual classrooms will add to the social experience tremendously. From there, we might even start seeing virtual offices rock up on the scene. I imagine the costs potentially saved on transportation and office space would be immense. Going off on a bit of a tangent here, but this stuff makes me think that once a virtual simulation is more rewarding than 'reality', people will simply plug themselves into VR indefinitely. Why explore the universe when there are virtual realities orders of magnitude more appealing? We will end up creating virtual realities to fulfill our every desire. Whatever we wish to dream up will be there, pleasurable or frightening. Sounds kind of like GOD to be honest ?. 

8 hours ago, StephenK said:

Why explore the universe when there are virtual realities orders of magnitude more appealing?

No, you don't. You are going to be physically vulnerable when you are plugged into virtual reality.

You don't want to do that unless you live alone in your house.

Definitely, don't do it in public spaces because thugs may slit your throat or steal your wallet.

I'd maybe plug myself into VR for 1~2 hours a day.

Edited by CreamCat

13 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

The point of school is to teach you how to teach yourself and make you passionate about learning.

To teach me how to teach myself, cramming a bunch of useless knowledge is not going to work.

What we lack is experimentation of different learning models.

Public schools or large schools are way too rigid for experiments. Universities are not going to become flexible.

I suspect meditation is far more effective at nurturing curiosity and discipline which are important for autodidacts.

I'd administer myself various forms of meditation sessions here and there to increase creativity and curiosity.

If I set up a tiny school with the goal of fostering curiosity and passion instead of cramming a bunch of knowledge, it may be based on meditation, projects, and competitions and dish out various learning materials from which students choose freely.

TJ Reeves has been creating an online university where people are pushed to unlock their potential and their humanity. It seems like a form of personal development. I like it better than cramming useless facts into my mouth.

Edited by CreamCat